Target Platform: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista.
LDAPSearch is one of the simplest tool for remotely searching on the Directory servers such as eDirectory, Active Directory etc. Directory server provides the most scalable, high-performance LDAP data store for critical information within the industry and serves as the foundation for the new generation of e-business applications and Web services.
In this context, this LDAP search tool makes it easy to retrieve the information remotely and greatly helps in troubleshooting problems associated with the Directory servers.
LDAPSearch is one of the easiest, fastest and lovely tools for searching Directory servers. It provides various options to tweak the search queries thus making the search operation more efficient.
Here are some of the salient features of LDAPSearch...
- Supports both normal LDAP ( port 389) as well as LDAPSSL ( port 636 ) protocol. Also user can specify custom port in case the target server is running on non standard port.
- Allows user to specify server certificate during SSL connection. This is useful when server requires client to use previously granted certificate for identification.
- Anonymous bind is supported along with normal authentication. In case of anonymous bind user can specify the name such as "anonymous".
- Following search options can be used to customize the query to get effective results.
- Base DN: Indicates the sub object for search operation. Base DN must follow the LDAP naming convention in specifying the DN name. Keep it blank to search from root object.
- Filter: Specifies the type of object to be searched.
- Attributes: Custom attributes can be specified so as to cut down the search result. For retrieving all the attributes of the object select the "Get attributes dynamically" checkbox.
- Scope: This specifies the depth of the level to search for under base dn. There are 3 levels. "BASE" means only the requested object specified in the base DN will be searched. "OneLevel" indicates that all the objects below the base DN will be searched. "Subtree" means all the objects under the base DN are searched recursively.
- Timeout: This controls the time taken for LDAP search operation. While enumerating large number of results, this value needs to be modified accordingly.
- Search results can be directly written to the output file instead of displaying it in the list box. When the search result contains large number of objects, list box may not be able to handle it. In such scenario this feature will be useful.
- User can also export the result to the desired file once the search operation is completed.
- Version 2.1 - 27th Jan 2008
Renovated look & feel with more simple and user friendly settings.
Search operation is now performed in separate thread thus preventing application hang when the search takes more time.
User can select the desired file for writing and exporting the search results.
Vista UAC compatible application
- Version 1.2 - 12th Feb 2007
New feature to store the current settings to the registry.
Couple of bug fixes.
- Version 1.1 - 2nd Jan 2007
Option to specify the timeout for search operation.
Browse button to select SSL certificate is added.
Feature to directly write results to the file skipping the list box.
- Version 1.0 25th May 2006
First release with basic search features.