Fortify Employee Spotlight: Tea with Katie Crabtree

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
1 0 1,810

As a newer member of the Fortify team, I’ve learned so much about the products and application security, but what has stood out to me the most is the people I get to work with. One word would summarize my interactions with them: passion. Everyone I’ve talked to has demonstrated passion for Fortify and the Fortify AppSec team. Katie Crabtree, who is a Product Manager for Fortify, is no exception, and she’s our highlight for this month’s Fortify Employee Spotlight.

Fortify Employee Spotlight - Tea with Katie Crabtree.jpgQ: Where did you grow up?

A: I spent some of my childhood in the Midwest but I’ve spent most of my life in Florida and currently live in south Florida. 

Q: How did you come get into application security?

A: By total accident! After graduating from college, I thought I would get into supply chain and ERP systems since it was what I focused on in school. I moved to Atlanta to be closer to my boyfriend (now husband) and the HP office was about a mile down the road, so I applied for a job working in Fortify Support. After doing that for a few years I was lucky enough to move into Product Management. 

Q: What do you do at Fortify?

A: I currently manage several programs in Fortify Product Management. I work on a lot of our licensing and pricing. In addition to working on the current programs we have, I’m also transitioning to work more with Software Security Center in a Product Management role.

Q: What motivates you when you come into work every morning?

A: Working with awesome people! It doesn’t matter what the role is, when you get to work with people who support you and encourage you, it makes a world of difference. I also love being able to collaborate to find solutions for others. Being able to work with others to solve a problem keeps me motivated from one challenge to the next. 

Q: What about security keeps you awake at night?

A: There are two things; the first is being a consumer and always thinking about how the products I use are secured. It is hard not to think about the amount of information we have out there and how secure it really is. The second thing is the speed at which we see things changing in the AppSec world. We are always working to come up with solutions to issues that our customers are seeing and it always has us thinking about what is coming next.  

Q: What do you feel makes Fortify’s culture so special?

A: The leadership and team of people in Fortify are what make it such a great place to work. You have so many smart people collaborating on different projects, it is always really awesome to see people being able to bring their strengths together to accomplish things.

Q: What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?

A: If you are going to laugh about it later, laugh about it now. My mom has always said this and it helps me realize to take things one at a time and not get hung up on stuff that we will look back on and laugh at later (even if it’s going to take some time).

Q: If you could do another job for a day, what would you do?

A: Be a chef! I love food and I love to cook.

Q: What are your top 5 songs?

A: I have a two-year-old, so recently if it’s not a Frozen song or something on the Baby Shark album, I don’t know it.

Q: What’s your favorite meal?

A: Fried Chicken.

Q: What’s your dream vacation?

A: Any vacation on the beach with a drink in my hand.

Q: What is the best concert you ever attended?

A: I have to show my millennial side here and say Taylor Swift! 

Q: If you had a motto, what would it be?

A: We’ll figure it out…

Q: What would you tell your 20-year-old self?

A:  Setting yourself up to fail doesn’t always lead to failure. When you choose the easy way out of something you don’t get the opportunities you might have otherwise gotten if you had just taken the chance to do something that you could really learn from.

5 More questions...

Q: Beach or mountain lake vacation?
A: Beach
Q: Sunrise or Sunset?
A: Sunset
Q: Apple or Android?
A: Apple
Q: Time travel to the future or the past?
A: Past
Q: Coffee or tea?
A: Tea

About Micro Focus Fortify

Fortify lets you build secure software fast with an application security platform that automates testing throughout the CI/CD pipeline to enable developers to quickly resolve issues. Fortify static, dynamic, interactive, and runtime security testing technologies are available on premises or as a service, offering organizations the flexibility needed to build an end-to-end software security assurance program.

Looking to join an industry leader filled with passionate problem-solvers on a mission to help organizations protect their applications from the bad guys? Check out our open positions now.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.