Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.

Speaking at Gartner next week

Absent Member.
Absent Member.
0 0 2,997
0 Likes
Next week I'll be speaking at Gartner's 14th Annual Future of IT Conference in Sao Paulo, Brazil on the subject of Security Event Automation.

It's a subject I've spoken on before, and it's an area that generates a lot of questions, mostly around how and when to start thinking about automating security processes, what to automate, and how to tie the various technologies together. As a result, I try to offer some practical advice that gets people up and running towards some quick wins. The main thing to remember is that it's perfectly ok to start relatively small and build some automation around the day-to-day stuff that may not be high-profile, but consumes your (very expensive) security team's time nevertheless.

For example, deciding if a password reset is a routine event or an indicator of a potential breach, or seeing a DBA change some auditing settings on a table - these are things that an automated response system could deal with and escalate far more efficiently (faster and cheaper) than a human. The trick is to have enough of a formalized process in the first place to make automation a possibility - a requirement that often exposes very rapidly any immaturity in the underlying security programs.

Anyway, if you're interested in knowing more, and happen to be in the Sao Paulo area next week, swing by and say hello. (I apologize in advance for my poor language skills - let's just say that my Portuguese is, "not extensive.")
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.