The perfect end-to-end dashboard, what does it look like?

Absent Member.
Absent Member.
0 1 4,996
0 Likes
Take a look at the following diagram that's a screen-shot from the Control Center Console:

4314.Screenshot-_2D00_-27_08_2009-_2C00_-1_05_19-PM

If you have glanced through some of our marketing materials, you will have seen this diagram in our data sheets. However, whether you have seen it before or not, the question I have for you now is: Do you understand what's happening or is an explanation required? Perhaps if I give you a brief overview, it might make a bit more sense.

This diagram is trying to help in one area where troubleshooting loses a lot of time - it's the classic debate between the network and the application. Where do you start troubleshooting first? I'm not trying to start a blame war [:)], but rather, I would like to know if my network has gone awry of if my servers and apps need a closer look.

On the far left and right side of the screen, objects that represent end-user performance via our Web and Windows Response Time modules are testing an application that is served by a website as well as by a local client. There are network-based response time tests from the end users to the core infrastructure as well being shown. These objects you'll see are all in yellow. In the middle is mostly a network layer with a few web servers spread across a load balancer. Finally, the application servers are also in a cluster containing a database and app server. You could say this is a common multi-tier application.

Now, where do your eyes seem to fall? How about that bright red spot just right of the middle. Dashboards are great because when an alert comes in, it's great to see where it originated from, but more importantly, it's easy to see who is affected by the alert. The event message below says "Response time exceeded threshold" as the cursor is clicked on a response time agent (hence the alert is yellow). By seeing a red alert on my WebLogic App Server, and only in that location, I can initially dismiss bothering with the network as I feel I have a starting point of my investigation which is possibly affecting the end users.

Of course, it won't always be this way, but if I have a starting point which helps me decide whether I need to go talk to the network team or application team, I'm on the path to a quicker resolution of the issue. The example above is just one example of many. Is this the perfect dashboard? Perhaps not the best out there, but if it helps making the point, it's worth taking a look at! If you have some other ones, send them my way and I'll post them up to share.  It would be great to see what others are doing with their service map views.

1 Comment
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Pretty cool looking Haf.
This is what I have been attempting but I have given up for a while till I got 7.04 in place. Now it makes building dashboards MUCH faster and stable.
Good Job!
Ed
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.