Why Tech Support No Longer Takes Features Requests For ArcSight

Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
10 0 2,045

Hello readers, and welcome to “The Director’s Chair!”

For those of you who read and participate in the various ArcSight Community forums, let me start by saying “Thank you.” Then let me introduce you to the inaugural post for what I hope will become many posts from The Director’s Chair.  For those of you who do not know me, my name is Michael Mychalczuk and in July of 2018 I took over ArcSight as the Director of Product Management when it was integrated into Micro Focus Security Operations portfolio of products. These past 20 months have been an incredible experience getting to meet with over one hundred customers and partners and enjoying every minute of it, even when the conversations were tough. This area is where I hope to comment on subjects that I think are of global interest to our customers, and engage you in the conversations around where we are going, and how we are going to get there. I look forward to this engagement and candid conversation, and hope that you will actively participate.

Why Tech Support No Longer Takes Features Requests For ArcSight.pngRecently, a customer called into Technical Support, and wanted to submit a Feature Request. When they tried, they were told that Tech Support no longer takes Feature Requests which caused some confusion. Naturally this made it to me, and I decided that I would make it the subject of my Inaugural post and address “Why Tech Support No Longer Takes Features Requests For ArcSight.” It’s likely not what you think.

So the first question that is likely running through your mind is “Is it true that ArcSight Technical Support no longer accepts Feature Requests from customers?”  The answer is “Yes, it is true.” – I could hear the gasps already, but here are the reasons why. 

As part of our “OPEN” theme within ArcSight we are extending this theme beyond the features and capabilities of the product and extending it to how we do business regarding what goes into the product. To this end, we are asking the customer to engage in a collaborative dialogue with us, and other customers, regarding features to be considered. So we are asking you to instead of submitting a Feature Request in the form of Service Ticket, as you did in the past, to please go to the ArcSight Ideas Exchange.

This is not a new concept, if anything ArcSight is late to the party of handling its Feature Requests in a public open forum. So I do not want it to be taken as “We think we are doing something new and cool.” On the contrary, we think that this is a critical first step to ensuring our customers, large and small, have a voice in what goes into ArcSight as we evolve ArcSight into a next-generation SIEM platform. By the way, we know we do not have this interaction down perfect yet. Some of us are still getting used to the openness on our part as well. However, we do know that we need to make this change. So, when you have a Feature Request, please bookmark the Ideas Exchange and share it with all of the community. You will be glad you did. We do realize that we have some customers that for one reason or another they simply cannot participate. If you are one of them, then let us know and we will work with you, but part of building community is being open and vulnerable with one another, and that is our goal here.

So now that you know my reasoning for implementing the change, I’d like to know your thoughts as to whether you think we are right or wrong with our new approach.

Mike

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.