In a mobile-focused business world, an IT team’s ability to efficiently manage all the endpoints in an enterprise is critical to operational success across the business. Whether you’re managing a corporate-owned, BYOD, or hybrid environment, a complete, integrated suite of endpoint management tools streamlines the process for IT and ensures devices are secure, compliant, and provide access to the tools and information each user needs to perform.
With ZENworks Configuration Management, Micro Focus delivered a centralized solution for managing and monitoring enterprise endpoints. Today, with Update 3 to ZENworks 2017, Micro Focus continues the push towards a secure, unified endpoint management solution with new features designed to enhance the existing capabilities of ZCM 2017 to further streamline administrators’ tasks.
The key objectives with Update 3 are:
- Increasing productivity of IT admins with easier access to reporting and data;
- Enhancing the Unified Endpoint Management value proposition with additional capabilities for iOS and Android management; and
- Greater scalability and performance.
One of the most significant updates is the addition of actionable dashboards that provide instant access to any data sets that admins commonly access. Individual dashlets can be customized to provide easy access to the most important data for each admin, such as device distribution, last contact, patch subscription status, or any other device configuration information. Admins can also create filtered views based on specific subsets of users, like hierarchy, location, platform type, subscription or update status, or other variables. They can also drill down directly from the dashlets for more specific detail and to take action if an issue is identified. Any of the specific views can then be pinned to the admin dashboard for quick and easy access later.
Update 3 also enhances the management capabilities for Android devices by supporting Google’s Android Work-Managed, allowing admins to manage the entire Android device. With the support for full Android devices, there is no longer a need for a work profile and application bundles and policies are applied to the base device, increasing security and control over app installation and configuration.
Admins also get increase endpoint security tools with the integration of SIEM tools to provide feedback on security events. When security alerts are triggered – failed logins, intrusion detection, etc. – that information in immediately sent to the admins, who can then quickly investigate what’s happening through the ZENworks management tools.
The full list of ZENworks 2017 Update 3 enhancements includes:
- A new, actionable dashboard framework provides a visual representation of the data in your zone, helping you to identify problems faster.
- You can quickly build dashboards to access the information that’s most important to you. And once you identify an issue from the dashboard, you can often address it right from there.
- Within the dashboard framework, you can customize and save dashlets to give you a filtered view of your data.
Intune App Protection Policy
- This policy enables restrictions to be enforced on Microsoft Intune-based Apps, using MS Graph API.
- You can enforce secure access controls, secure app data, wipe compromised app data, secure Office 365 apps from ZCC, and secure Office 365 apps on managed or non-managed devices.
Android Enterprise – Work-Managed Device
- The entire Android Device can now be managed using the Android Enterprise Work-Managed mode (similar to the “Supervised” mode for iOS devices).
- Bundles and policies can be applied to the base device, without the need for a Work Profile. In addition, only approved applications are allowed to run on the device.
Locate Lost or Stolen Devices
- Admins can now locate lost or stolen devices, supervised iOS devices, Android Enterprise Work Profile devices, and Android Enterprise Work-Managed devices.
Branding Policy enhancements (ZAPP Display Size)
- Enhancements include a new Display Size attribute in ZENworks branding policy and ZAPP, a Display Size option, and the ability to place more icons on devices where spacing and size can be reduced.
Office 365 App Protection Policies (Intune App Management)
- This capability enables admins to manage Office 365 App Protection Policies from ZENworks using the InTune GraphAPI.
- You can enforce secure access controls, secure app data, wipe compromised app data, secure Office 365 apps on managed or non-managed devices, and secure Office 365 Apps from ZENworks Control Center.
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) Variable Support
- You can now customize MDT deployments from a single bundle, enabling you to upload customsettings.ini and bootstrap.ini in MDT bundle action and to resolve ZENworks variables in INI files at runtime. This eliminates the need to rebuild deployment share due to bootstrap.ini changes.
- You can maintain a limited number of boot WIM files (often 1). And, you can customize your boot time configuration with ZENworks variables set at zone, folder, device, or preboot rule.
Support for BIOS Type-based Imaging Rules
- The enhanced preboot rules enable you to create hardware rules that boot different images based on firmware type: UEFI-32/UEFI-64/BIOS.
- You can use variables specified at the rule in your image scripts or scripted OS deployments.
This release supports the following new platforms:
- Windows 10 April 2018 Update, version 1803
- openSUSE Leap 43 and 15
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 (SLES 15)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 15 (SLED 15)
- iOS 11.4
Since this is an update and not a full release, all existing licensing, pricing, and packaging will remain intact. Update 3 can be access from the patch download page or as a ZCC download.
Thanks for reading!
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.