Copy event/raw data to tape (Utility)
The Sentinel family documentation provides instructions on how to copy data to sequential storage media such as magnetic tapes.
This script does part of that and a few more things:
1. checks the raw data file checksums against what is stored in the database
2. creates and stores the checksum of the files in a log so we can make sure they've been wholly restored later on
3. uses hard links to the files so the archival takes up minimal space
4. the I/O and CPU intensive parts are throttled with nice and ionice so they won't compete with Sentinel for resources.
1. only ever copies data for a single day
2. the name is not the best
3. if you deploy it multiple times a config file may be a better approach than putting the variables in the script
4. there is no feedback between the program actually dumping the data to tape and this script
5. no cleanup, what this copies remains there indefinitely - this isn't something you want