ScorpionSting Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Alternate Upgrade

Well, because my appliance is having all sorts of problems (8.2 Appliance SLES 11 - SLES 12 / elasticsearch@5.6.3-SNAPSHOT), I'm considering doing:

1. a full Sentinel 8.2 backup on the SLES 11 appliance
  2. a fresh build of Sentinel 8.2 with SLES 12 appliance
  3. restore of Sentinel full backup

Even though not "officially" documented as an upgrade path, I'm not seeing any issues with this as the Sentinel binary/data should be the same, its just the OS changing...unless I'm missing something??

Visit my Website for links to Cool Solution articles.
0 Likes
3 Replies
ScorpionSting Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Alternate Upgrade

ScorpionSting;2485544 wrote:
Well, because my appliance is having all sorts of problems (8.2 Appliance SLES 11 - SLES 12 / elasticsearch@5.6.3-SNAPSHOT), I'm considering doing:

1. a full Sentinel 8.2 backup on the SLES 11 appliance
  2. a fresh build of Sentinel 8.2 with SLES 12 appliance
  3. restore of Sentinel full backup

Even though not "officially" documented as an upgrade path, I'm not seeing any issues with this as the Sentinel binary/data should be the same, its just the OS changing...unless I'm missing something??

Meh....gave up and just fully rebuilt from scratch....

Ended up going traditional as the new appliance build gives no control over partitioning

Visit my Website for links to Cool Solution articles.
0 Likes
rochfo Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

ScorpionSting;2485640 wrote:
Meh....gave up and just fully rebuilt from scratch....

Ended up going traditional as the new appliance build gives no control over partitioning

I've the same issue with a new appliance build, I can't partition / or /var to take advantage of attached storage I have. There must be way to do this during the install process??
0 Likes
davidkrotil Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I was thinking about going same way, fresh 8.2 appliance install and moving data from old ( SLES11 ) appliance. What about doing it manually, without involving install / appliance interface ? I had on old appliance LVM disk setup.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.