tbuchkov Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Fresh Sentinel Appliance 8.2 not starting after reboot

Hi all,

Sentinel Appliance 8.2 was freshly installed (DVD ISO) on a new bare metal server. After installation only two modifications were made via YaST2:
- we decided to change the network settings (IP, mask, Default Gateway);
- we added a proxy server to the configuration for connecting to internet in order to register and update the product to 8.2.1.;

Unfortunately, after restart (halt -p command, followed by hardware start), the server does not start, but gives:
A start job is running for dev-disk-by\……….

I found on the knowledge database here https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7023143 that maybe the problem is "This issue occurs because the operating system modifies the disk UUID during installation. Therefore, during reboot it cannot find the disk." The article in question is for Hyper-V Server 2016 appliance installation, but the issue seems the same. However, in the resolution the steps are the following:

Manually modify the disk UUID.
1) After installing appliance (first boot), Login to root
2) Verify /dev/disk/by-id entries for partitions are matching in /etc/fstab file.
3) Replace the actual partition IDs in the following files
4) Reboot the VM

I have two questions:
- is our problem indeed the same as described in the article?
- if yes, to my understanding we have to reinstall the appliance, since we are past the "first boot" option and we cannot login?

Kind regards,

TB
0 Likes
8 Replies
ScorpionSting Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Fresh Sentinel Appliance 8.2 not starting after reboot

tbuchkov;2500880 wrote:
Hi all,

Sentinel Appliance 8.2 was freshly installed (DVD ISO) on a new bare metal server. After installation only two modifications were made via YaST2:
- we decided to change the network settings (IP, mask, Default Gateway);
- we added a proxy server to the configuration for connecting to internet in order to register and update the product to 8.2.1.;

Unfortunately, after restart (halt -p command, followed by hardware start), the server does not start, but gives:
A start job is running for dev-disk-by\……….

I found on the knowledge database here https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7023143 that maybe the problem is "This issue occurs because the operating system modifies the disk UUID during installation. Therefore, during reboot it cannot find the disk." The article in question is for Hyper-V Server 2016 appliance installation, but the issue seems the same. However, in the resolution the steps are the following:

Manually modify the disk UUID.
1) After installing appliance (first boot), Login to root
2) Verify /dev/disk/by-id entries for partitions are matching in /etc/fstab file.
3) Replace the actual partition IDs in the following files
4) Reboot the VM

I have two questions:
- is our problem indeed the same as described in the article?
- if yes, to my understanding we have to reinstall the appliance, since we are past the "first boot" option and we cannot login?

Kind regards,

TB

Considering this is a new install, I'd reinstall the appliance and set the correct IP information during install. Use the WebYaST interface ( :9443) to configure the Proxy.

I'd also make sure that all disk connections are firm. I've had similar symptoms when the sata cable had wobbled slightly loose and also seen it when one of a RAID 1 was unavailable.

Visit my Website for links to Cool Solution articles.
0 Likes
tbuchkov Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ScorpionSting;2500908 wrote:
Considering this is a new install, I'd reinstall the appliance and set the correct IP information during install. Use the WebYaST interface ( :9443) to configure the Proxy.

I'd also make sure that all disk connections are firm. I've had similar symptoms when the sata cable had wobbled slightly loose and also seen it when one of a RAID 1 was unavailable.

Thank you for your help, ScorpionSting!

Well, the reason we updated the IP settings and the proxy in the first place was because we were unable to reach the WebYAST interface (:9443), because of error 500. So we wanted to grant internet access to the Sentinel server for a limited time in order for it to be updated from 8.2 to 8.2.1. So it's a bit of magic circle :confused:
0 Likes
Absent Member.

tbuchkov;2500920 wrote:
Thank you for your help, ScorpionSting!

Well, the reason we updated the IP settings and the proxy in the first place was because we were unable to reach the WebYAST interface (:9443), because of error 500. So we wanted to grant internet access to the Sentinel server for a limited time in order for it to be updated from 8.2 to 8.2.1. So it's a bit of magic circle :confused:

To be honest, I actually gave up on the appliance due to the lack of control over disk allocation and decided to go with the service option. Do you have any SLES licenses you can use? There's a bit more control over the environment that way and will allow you to sort out IPs/Proxy/etc before installing the product.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

ScorpionSting;2500921 wrote:
To be honest, I actually gave up on the appliance due to the lack of control over disk allocation and decided to go with the service option. Do you have any SLES licenses you can use? There's a bit more control over the environment that way and will allow you to sort out IPs/Proxy/etc before installing the product.

I wrote this a little while back around the disk usage, but should still be relevant: https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Sentinel-Tips-Information/Understanding-Sentinel-disk-usage/ta-p/1775853

0 Likes
tbuchkov Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well, the reason for the use of appliance is limited experience with Linux. I am not comfortable enough with the OS (as it shows) and preferred the appliance as a prebuilt and preconfigured option that is - theoretically, at least - a bit less hustle. And yeah, no SLES licenses around 😞 I reinstalled it and now I am battling the 500 error.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

tbuchkov;2500923 wrote:
Well, the reason for the use of appliance is limited experience with Linux. I am not comfortable enough with the OS (as it shows) and preferred the appliance as a prebuilt and preconfigured option that is - theoretically, at least - a bit less hustle. And yeah, no SLES licenses around 😞 I reinstalled it and now I am battling the 500 error.

vi /var/opt/novell/sentinel/log/server0.0.log

This is the main log file for sentinel...it should give any indication of issues....that or /var/opt/novell/sentinel/log/server.sh.log

You can also run this to watch it as it loads

tail -F /var/opt/novell/sentinel/log/server0.0.log

There might be some hints in there for the issues

0 Likes
tbuchkov Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well, it definitely changed the disk UUID during the installation (as described in the already mentioned article https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7023143).

The contents of the /etc/fstab file and the actual partition IDs are different (BTW, the server is with 3 physical disks (1.2TB each) organized in one logical array/disk in RAID5). So I must correct them.

And :9443 gives the 500 error, which must be fixed also 🙂

Thank you, ScorpionSting, for the great advice!
0 Likes
Rehtael Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

So, 8.2.2.0 has a known issue with UUIDs on Hyper-v: https://www.netiq.com/documentation/sentinel-82/s822-release-notes/data/s822-release-notes.html#t46ocaxt5red

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.