New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Commander
Commander

Where is the MESSAGE field for the data sync policies?

Jump to solution

Hi. I´m running Sentinel 8.2.2 and I´m creating the data synchronization policies for databases to be used for reporting services. Everything is fine, but I can´t seem to find the message field in the field mapping. Curious thing is: the field is there, I can see it and see the values of it in the default search for instance. Why can´t I map it for the data sync? Any thougnts? All other default fields are there.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Commander
Commander

Support help me pointing out that 8.x versions of Sentinel expanded the MSG field to 8000 chars. In previous versions, this field was created with 4000 chars which is the top supported by datatype 12. Basically what you need to do is an alter column msg nvarchar (max) and SQL Server will do the rest, the data type will be changed to 2005 and the Data Sync policies will recognize the MSG field automatically.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

To which kind of database to you want to sync the data?

Did you have Sentinel create the table in the remote DB?

--
Norbert
0 Likes
Commander
Commander

Data Sync is to MSQL Server 2012. Yes, the table is there. All other fields are already mapped and working fine. I´m just not able to select the message field in the field mapping option, even though I can see this field and its value in the default Sentinel search page for the same query I´m using for the policy.

clipboard_image_0.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Commander
Commander

Support help me pointing out that 8.x versions of Sentinel expanded the MSG field to 8000 chars. In previous versions, this field was created with 4000 chars which is the top supported by datatype 12. Basically what you need to do is an alter column msg nvarchar (max) and SQL Server will do the rest, the data type will be changed to 2005 and the Data Sync policies will recognize the MSG field automatically.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Commander
Commander

Just to update... if I create a new table natively through Sentinel, the MSG field is there as expected. If the table already exists in the database, I´m still not able to add the MSG field.

Now, let´s discuss about this scenario: customer had data sync policies up and running fine (including the MSG field) and then they need to upgrade Sentinel, but they want to keep their database which already has historic data. So Sentinel gets upgraded and the database is still the same (and supported). I add new data sync policies to the new Sentinel and connect to the old database in order to keep the historic data and also keep doing data sync for the fresh data. And I cannot include the MSG field because the table already exists. The only way I can add this field is having Sentinel create the table.

Any thoughts or different experiences?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

With PostgreSQL I was able to map msg to a pre-existing table.

At this point you should open a Service Request with support.

--
Norbert
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.