Sharp_2 Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Load balancer in front of satellites

Has anyone successfully deployed an f5 load balancer between managed servers and satellites? We are looking for the best way to replatform our existing RH5 SA10.23 to RH7. Alternatively, we could just add and remove satellites to each facility and reip to the origninal satellites' IP addresses (they are the one's with the fw rules allowed).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

/A

Alan
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. apresence Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Load balancer in front of satellites

We've run into a similar situation. I'm not sure if it's the best approach, but I was able to successfully perform the following in our test environment.

Let's assume we have two satellites in the same facility: A and B.  The goal is to replace the satellites with new ones without having to deal with new firewall rules and with as little interruption in connectivity as possible.  Here is the process:

1. Decommission the server for satellite A (Don't worry about uninstalling HPSA)
  2. Deactivate and delete satellite A in the HPSA GUI
  3. Provision a new server for the satellite, assigning it the same IP as the original satellite
  4. Install the HPSA satellite components and apply updates, patches, etc. as usual, choosing to add it to the existing facility

You can then do the same procedure for B.

NOTES:

• Since the IP addresses don't change, no new firewall rules are needed
  • While each satellite is down, any agents that were communicating through that specific satellite will also be down temporarily.  When the new satellite with the same IP takes its place, connectivity will be restored
  • SA won't let you deactivate the last satellite in a facility.  If you don't have at least two satellites in the target facility, then you can work-around this by adding a temporary satellite to that facility, replacing the existing satellite, and then removing the temporary satellite

If anybody knows of a better way to do this, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!

- Chris

Sharp_2 Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: Load balancer in front of satellites

Thanks - I believe we will take that approach as it seems to work in testing as well.
Alan
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.