Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Migrate and parallelization

The migrate support utility is such a time saver. There's one thing that might be up for improvement, it's the "

/opt/opsware/support/bin/migrate -i devlist.pkl.gz --device_list devicelist "

It is a little slow and we don't know where it's at in its processing (number of servers processed).

So I was wondering if we could import like this:

1- split the list used to export (the group members) on import in 5; For example if we do batches of 500 servers. So we would run 5 process on 5 slices with the 1/5 of the device list as argument for each... Would that buy us anything? right now 500 servers takes 6+ hours to import for us.

Thanks

0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I suspect the large import time is due to the fact that you are taking ALL the device history.   Have you changed the default DAYS_CHANGE_LOG of 180 (days) to something much larger in your system?

# sql "select VALUE from audit_params where name = 'DAYS_CHANGE_LOG'"

Query #1 on Facility_id 1 (C1):
VALUE
-----

If this is the case on export you can tell the migrate tool that a small amount of device change history should be taken.  This will greatly speed up import times, importing and exporting this can be quite intensive.

--change_log_days <days>
The number of days from today into the past to consider device
change log data for exporting. Default all data. 0 days will
disable exporting device change log history.

Making any other change as you suggest is too risky and could destabilise the code.

Brett

Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Thank you, thank you!

We're migrating another 500 tonight so we'll test . Last night it took 9 hrs for 526 devices.

Pierre

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.