New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

OPSWtwist Error in 9.1>10 Upgrade

Jump to solution

In testing out an upgrade from HPSA 9.1 to 10 in my lab (single box core with HP-supplied Oracle install on the same box), I get an error that stops the upgrade cold in the processing of package OPSWtwist-50.0.37360.0-0.i386.rpm.  I backed out my CORDS and hotfix rollup before attemting the upgrade, and now I have an unusable core, the app will not start now, it was working before I started.  "opsware-sas list" does not even show twist anymore, and an uninstall says the core is still at 9.1.

Here is the error out of the log:

Verifying dependencies
Verify hostname "localhost" is listening on port 1007: SUCCESS
Verify communication with local Spin service: SUCCESS
[Jul-16-2013 16:02:03]  Processing package OPSWtwist-50.0.37360.0-0.i386.rpm.
useradd: user twist exists
Failed to add user twist
error: %pre(OPSWtwist-50.0.37360.0-0.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
error:   install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping OPSWtwist-50.0.37360.0-0
[Jul-16-2013 16:02:03] Installation of package /var/tmp/hpsa_media/packages/./Linux/OPSWtwist-50.0.37360.0-0.i386.rpm failed
[Jul-16-2013 16:02:03] Exiting Opsware Installer.

Has this ever been seen before?  Our Lab is a simple 1 box system but it has the same CORD and patch level as Production, so I'm kind of concerned about a show-stopper so early in the process.  Since this is a Lab box it is unsupported so I cannot put in a ticket,  but this does not bode well for a Prod implementation.  Has this ever been seen before?  Thanks!

Bob

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the logs.

Been able to reproduce your behavior on one of our cores

by running:

/usr/sbin/useradd -c "Twist server" -e 2030-12-31 -d /var/opt/opsware/twist -M -g users -n -s /bin/sh twist

and got:  "useradd: user twist exists"

In this case the twist user really exists on /etc/passwd

Since you confirmed that the user is missing from /etc/passwd will be interesting to see the output of the following commands:

id twist

and 

strace -e open /usr/sbin/useradd -c "Twist server" -e 2030-12-31 -d /var/opt/opsware/twist -M -g users -n -s /bin/sh twist

In our case, the following files were been used(normally on all cases the same files should be used):

open("/etc/group", O_RDONLY) = 5
open("/etc/localtime", O_RDONLY) = 4
open("/etc/group", O_RDONLY) = 4
open("/etc/login.defs", O_RDONLY) = 4
open("/etc/passwd", O_RDONLY) = 4

so please look for  the existence of twist user/users group and any special login defs for twist user and users group on all above files

cat /etc/group|grep users

users:x:100:

cat /etc/passwd|grep twist

twist:x:501:100:Twist server:/var/opt/opsware/twist:/bin/sh

nothing special in login.defs for our system.

What is coming into my mind is to use:

# userdel twist

on that server and try again the process.

Mihai Lazar
Automate & Orchestrate Solution Architect

*If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
21 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Bob,

Please be aware that upgrades from SA 9 to SA 10 needs to be done by our professionals service department or by a certified partner, but seems like you are testing on your own on a dev environment.

That said, have you followed every single step mentioned in the SA 10 upgrade guide for the the SA config that you have?

On the core you should run /opt/opsware/oi_util/bin/run_all_probes.sh run > probes.out

To see the current status of the core.

Please let me know.

Ed Molina
HP Cloud Solution Support Engineer

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. Also, if you liked this post please consider providing Kudos on the left side.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Eduardo,

Yes, this is my Lab core.  But I have specifically been told by HP at Discover, and it is in the HPSA 10 documentation, that HPSA 10 is customer-upgradable, as long as your core is one of the approved configurations.  And I followed all of the directions, even correcting the bad mount point (-primary instead of primary, I found that myself).

Anyways, looking at the probe output I seem to have an incomplete upgrade - the upgrade attempt was not completely backed out automatically after the failure and if I try to run the uninstall from the HPSA 10 media it tells me the core is 45.0, which is 9.1.  I'm attaching the out file.

I'm not as concerned about getting back to 9.1 as I am wondering why the HPSA 10 upgrade did not work, and if it is an issue that has been seen before and that I can work around.  I'm concerned about this happening when Production is upgraded.

Bob

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

My apologies, SA 10 is also customer upgradeable....sorry about that.  Customers can upgrade from SA 9 to SA 10.

Ed Molina

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. Also, if you liked this post please consider providing Kudos on the left side.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Bob,

Try restarting SA processes, if possible try rebooting the server.  Then try upgrade again and let me know the failure if you get any.  

If issues are still seen, please place the output here and get me a scenesnap to further check:

support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1464600

I would also appreciate Install logs.

Get me a coretographer:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM760430

Did you install any rollup patches on this system...but well anyway, the Scenesnap should tell me...

Regards,

Ed Molina

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hey Bob,

Can you please run the following bash script and put here the entire output:

#!/bin/bash -x

# Check if user exits
if [ `grep "^twist:" /etc/passwd | wc -l` -eq 1 ]; then
echo "User twist exists"
else
echo "User twist does not exist"
fi

if [ "$?" -ne 0 ]
then
echo "Failed to add user twist"
exit 1
fi

In your case is really odd since you're having a return code !=0 for an echo command, so let's see the output.

Mihai Lazar

*If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Mihai,

Here is the output:

[root@usrpkhpsald1l tmp]# ./test.sh
++ grep '^twist:' /etc/passwd
++ wc -l
+ '[' 0 -eq 1 ']'
+ echo 'User twist does not exist'
User twist does not exist
+ '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
[root@usrpkhpsald1l tmp]#

Bob

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

ok, so the twist user is missing

wondering why existed at the 1st attempt.

Can you please run again the upgrade script and keep us posted with the result?

Mihai Lazar

0 Likes
Highlighted
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Eduardo,

Thank you for your time.  I appreciate you looking at this.

I had hotfix rollup 34491 installed, and I uninstalled the hotfix rollup and CORD patch per the instructions.

I rebooted the server and retried the upgrade.  Still the same error.  As I put in the update before, there is no twist user anymore and no twist component also (opsware-sas list does not show twist) - this was a functioning core before I first attempted the upgrade on Friday.

I am attaching all of the files you requested, except the scenesnap, the file is 43MB and the max to attach here is 20MB.  Let me know if you want me to get it to you some other way, maybe I can split it up.  Thanks again!

Bob

0 Likes
Highlighted
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Mihai,

I have tried the upgrade several times, and it always fails at the same point: 

............WARNING: an error was detected while running an external
command or script. The output follows:
useradd: user twist exists
Failed to add user twist

I have uploaded a full slice upgrade log in a previous response if you want to look at that.

Bob

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hey Bob,

But, did you run the installer or the upgrade script?

/<mountpoint>/primary/disk001/opsware_installer/hpsa_upgrade.sh (SA_10_UpgradeGuide.pdf page 15)

If you ran the installer then you "fixed" the core 🙂

Mihai Lazar

0 Likes
Highlighted
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Mihai,

I have been running the hpsa_upgrade.sh as you specified, I am using the Upgrade Guide.  I have not tried running the installer.  I also seem to have a partial upgrade as I can't uninstall, it is saying I am at 9.1.

Are you saying I should try the full installer?  I'm going through logs and upgrade scripts to try and pinpoint the error.

Bob

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.