Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Valued Contributor.. davihdewing Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

SA 10.60 Agent Satellite Failover using opswgw.gw_list?

Jump to solution

I have seen some discussion regarding being able to provide a SA agent with comma seperated list of machine as part of the /etc/opt/opsware/agent/opswgw.args file using the opswgw.gw_list. Option.  Does any one know if that actually works.  When I try it will re-write the file on startup with a gateway that it discovered that works, but at the same time erasing the list

I'm trying to find something that would allow an agent to have a list of gateways it should try in event of a connection problem or outright failure of a SA Satellite server.  Is there a solution that is available?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Outstanding Contributor.. csaunderson Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: SA 10.60 Agent Satellite Failover using opswgw.gw_list?

Jump to solution

I have had success in installing a second satellite into the same Facility (SAT01) and realm (SAT01) with different gateway names: SAT01_01 and SAT01_02, as examples.

From what you wrote below, you seem to be using the same gateway name as the existing satellite, and that will throw the error you see.

--Chris

0 Likes
9 Replies
Keisha_P_SA Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Dear David, 

Thank you very much for contacting us, I hope that you are doing great. 

I would like to let you know that I will assisting you with this threat, please let me confirm the informaction requested by you and I will keep you posted. 

Thanks and best regards,

Keisha Paz
SW Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

We use to support installing an agent and being able to supply multiple GW's but that option has since been deprecated.  Today we only support supplying one AGW IP address.   What happens is that this AGW will in turn supply the IP addresses of all the other AGW for satellites in the same realm and the agent will add those to its opswgw.args file.  The gateways do this via the X-OPSW-GWLIST http header parameter.

Why did we remove this option?
Consider what happens if you give two IP address to two different AGW that are in different realms - an invalid configuration.  Which should be used?  Customers where messing up and doing this so we took the feature away to prevent this from happening.

More detail:

Agent starts up and reads the list of gateways from the config file: /etc/opt/opsware/agent/opswgw.args When agent first makes a communication to the core, it will use the first gateway in the list of gateways provided in opswgw.args. If the gateway fails, it will continue trying to connect using the next element in the list. The agent will examine the advertised gateways (retrieved via X-OPSW-GWLIST) and will set the gateway list to this advertised list and keep that state in memory. Any modification of the opswgw.args file (without restarting the agent) will be overwritten with the advertised gateway list.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Two halves of this discussion:

1) the agent is installed against a satellite / AGW that supplies back a list of the satellites in the realm.

2) the satellites need to be installed into the same facility just with different gateway names.

The second part is the most critical, or else you'll a) never get a second IP address and b) not get the redundancy features.

Question for Brett: can you characterise the failover behavior that's expected to be seen? I've had a number of cases where the first satellite in a facility goes unreachable, and the agents that have that gateway listed first are.. problematic: way updates are failing, comms tests also.

--Chris

0 Likes
Valued Contributor..

Jump to solution

Are there any good white papers or example documentation for configuring environments for Satellite redundancy for agents?  I find that while there is quite a bit of SA documentation, most of it tends to only touch the surface of SA's capablities.

We have an existing 3 core mesh SA installation in differenting datacenters, but each of them have a pair of satellites for all the local agents to communicate with, but these pairs of satellites are different facility and realms.  Today the agent assignments are determined at installation by response time of the satellites.  Fastest satellite means least loaded and physically closest to the agent.

I'm interested in adding the redundancy for the sat to/from agent connectivity.  Is it more reasonable to open a support ticket to have more indepth archtectural discussions specific to my environment?  Obviously, this would involve recofiguration of our existing satellites and changing agent gateway assignments on a significant scale.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

(not a MicroFocus person, so YMMV)

Unfoirtunately, there's no really good documentation on satellite topologies. 

What I will tell you is the MicrFocus party line: architectural discussions are not Support's mission, that's what Product Management / PSO do. 

What I will tell you is that anycast is something we've been looking into, but for now, closest satellite pair network-topology-wise is generally good enough for us.

--Chris

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi David,

This WP has been published a few years ago but lately is available as part of the official docs:

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Server_Automation:2018.08/place_holders/Administering/SA_High_Availability

Mihai Lazar
Automate & Orchestrate Solution Architect

*If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Valued Contributor..

Jump to solution

Sorry for the long delay on this one.  I did try to follow the directions for adding a HA satellite to our existing mesh using the directions which state:

Install the second SA Satellite as described in the Server Automation Install section, being sure to specify the same name for both the Satellite Facility and Satellite Realm (must be different from the Core Facility names), eg: SA10SAT.  The Satellite Facility and Realm name MUST be the same for both satellites in an HA pair.

However, when I specify to the 2018.08 Sateliite installer the same Facility and Realm names as the existing Satellite I want to pair with I get the following response for the name "PHX_SAT01" which is the existing facility/realm:

The realm 'PHX_SAT01' alreadyt exists in the Opsware Mesh.
Are you trying to add/moify a Gateway in this realm [y/n]
================================================
Gateway Configuration
================================================

Enter the Gateway's name
You entered 'PHX_SAT01', is this correct [y/n]
WARNING: The gateway name 'PHX_SAT01' currently exists inside Opsware.
Duplicate gateway names inside a Gateway network are very bad.  Are
you absolutely sure you want to use this gateway name [y/n] Exiting due to duplicate gateway name...

So the results of attempting to follow the manual directions results in an install that fails.  And ideas?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I have had success in installing a second satellite into the same Facility (SAT01) and realm (SAT01) with different gateway names: SAT01_01 and SAT01_02, as examples.

From what you wrote below, you seem to be using the same gateway name as the existing satellite, and that will throw the error you see.

--Chris

0 Likes
Valued Contributor..

Jump to solution

Chris,

Thanks for your reply.  That was quite helpful.  I wish the documentation was clearer that there are three different settings:  Facility (labeled unhelpfully as satellite.dcNm), Realm (satellite.realm_name), and Gateway Name (labeled satellite.gateway_name).  The first two must be the same while the third is unique to the mesh.

Just the hint there were three name locations instead of two made that work as expected.  Thanks again.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.