Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
sbrohamm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What's the Purpose of Items?

I've read through the documentation but I still don't understand what the purpose of Items would be in my small environment.

I'm part of a support group consisting of 2 members who will be handling Incidents and Generic Requests.

I understand categories and types but Items are just ID numbers that are completely foreign to a "customer" who is trying to create an Incident Request. Why would you have a "customer" choose from a list of Item ID numbers when they have no idea what Item the ID number is associated with? Why have an ID number instead of just a title like categories or types?

Thanks.
0 Likes
4 Replies
bsix Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What's the Purpose of Items?

Great question. Most people don't keep the setting to allow the system to generate Item Numbers. If you go into the Setup portal and under Privileges -> System you can change the Edit Item Numbers setting to Yes. Then you can make the Item Number anything you want it to be. It will be an alpha numeric field. You also have the option in the definition of the Type to determine what the Identifier is to be for all Items of that Type. You have all the attributes to pick from. The end result is that each request is initially associated to an Item when it is created and as it is closed can be re-associated to the "root cause" item if necessary. You will want to keep these associations as accurate as possible so your reporting can accurately reflect the operation of your environment. Clear as mud ? 🙂
0 Likes
sbrohamm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

bsix;2432187 wrote:
Great question. Most people don't keep the setting to allow the system to generate Item Numbers. If you go into the Setup portal and under Privileges -> System you can change the Edit Item Numbers setting to Yes. Then you can make the Item Number anything you want it to be. It will be an alpha numeric field. You also have the option in the definition of the Type to determine what the Identifier is to be for all Items of that Type. You have all the attributes to pick from. The end result is that each request is initially associated to an Item when it is created and as it is closed can be re-associated to the "root cause" item if necessary. You will want to keep these associations as accurate as possible so your reporting can accurately reflect the operation of your environment. Clear as mud ? 🙂

Yeah, I think I understand what you're saying and I really appreciate you helping me out.

I found the Edit Item Numbers setting and I'm now using titles for the items instead of just the generic ID numbers generated by Service Desk. Since I can't use the same Item ID more than once I've had to add on the specific Type that each item is associated with at the end of the ID. For instance, I had to add "- Adobe Reader" at the end of the Item ID to allow for an item named "Error" to be used for other Software Types.

This is the end result that the customer sees when creating a new incident request:

Item Category: Software
Item Type: Adobe Reader
Item ID: Error - Adobe Reader

or

Item Category: Software
Item Type: AutoCAD
Item ID: Error - AutoCAD

Is this a normal way of doing things or am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks again.
0 Likes
bsix Absent Member.
Absent Member.

There really isn't a wrong way. But when you consider how many items your users will have to scroll through you might want to consider an item called Software Error and Hardware Error as the only choices they see. There should be no confusion on their part which one to choose. Add in there Print error and one or two more and you should have it all covered.
That's not to say those will be the only Items. You may have hundreds more, it's just that the users will not see them. I'd be glad to get on a call to discuss further. You can also do a google search on Hank Marquis. He writes a lot on ITIL and has an interesting article at http://www.itsmsolutions.com/newsletters/DITYvol6iss8.pdf . Not that you would follow or word for word, or maybe you will, but it gives some examples of things to consider if they fit your corporate culture.
0 Likes
sbrohamm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for your assistance. I think things are starting to round into form for us so your suggestions were helpful.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.