Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
Outstanding Contributor.. Tommy Jensen Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Better documentation for installing Process Designer on SM 9.34

I do not think the documentation is clear enough when you want to install a completely OOB 9.34 system with PD added.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Re: Better documentation for installing Process Designer on SM 9.34

Thanks for your comment. If you have more specific information, feel free to send an email to ovdoc-itsm@hp.com. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Do you mean you have already a PD enabled system and then you want to upgrade your SM to 9.34?

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. Tommy Jensen Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

No PD not enabled yet. I am taking a completely OOB 9.30, upgrading to 9.34 and then I want PD installed and enabled. I do not think the documentation is very clear on how to accomplish that.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Did you have a chance looking at the SM 9.34 Upgrade Documentation Center ?http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM01042968

It's an interactive doc. There's some recommended installation or upgrade order and instructions.

0 Likes
DeBa Contributor.
Contributor.

I found this document after a long struggle trying to use all the manuals we downloaded.

I was trying to do a new 9.34 OOB installation with Process Designer PD4, using the interactive installation guide and the various manuals for the patches downloaded.

It didnt occur to me that the KM document might help me, because it is named Upgrade and Im doing a fresh install.

Note: I know that this installation is technical an install of 9.30 plus upgrading to 9.34, all the other docs were upgrades pre 9.30 though.

Is it an idea to make a reference in the Interactive Installation guide specifically  for New 9.34 OOB install  that refers to the KM document? The KM document seems to be the only place that links all the downloadable content together and its like it is key for understanding all the steps involved.

Kind regards,

Dennis

0 Likes
Absent Member.. John Stagaman Absent Member..
Absent Member..

If installating a new environment at 9.33 or 9.34, you could use ITSM Deployment Manager to install the environments. It really makes it a lot simpler. 

As to installing 9.30 and adding 9.34 and PD4 manually:

• The easiest path is actually: Install 9.30 RTE and Load Demo Data --> Install 9.34 client --> Upgrade to 9.34 RTE --> Apply 9.31 application upgrade (WHY? Because PD4 was written against 9.31, so you minimize issues if you install in build order) --> Resolve any conflicts (I think I had none) --> Apply PD4 Content Pack  -->Resolve any conflicts (I think I had none) --> apply 9.34 application upgrade --> Resolve conflicts (I think I had one).
  • Alternatively: Install 9.30 RTE and Load Demo Data --> Install 9.34 client --> Upgrade to 9.34 RTE -->  --> apply 9.34 application upgrade --> Resolve conflicts --> Apply PD4 content pack --> Apply 9.34 PD4 Compatibilty Unload --> Get confused trying to figure out the upgrade conflict resolution. (I know I did).

You can use ITSM Deployment Manager to execute all of these steps in sequence, so that the procedure is largely automated. It is available at HP Live Network. The newest versions even support configration of SSL. 

Here's an example of the install configured in ITSM DM including an SRC install. It follows the first option described above):

Example install task listing courtesy of Leanne Hanna from HP Education. Thanks!

With the number of patches since 9.30, I've been building a "current patch" system with PD for the last few releases, then doing system unload of the OOB 9.3x PD4 system. Then I use that for the intial database push instead of the oringinal demo data. It makes it a lot faster to deploy a new system and I can give the system unload files to my customer so they can more easily install theirs and avoid the patch process.

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Yes, as you suggested, for future releases, we are thinking about changing the doc name from  "Upgrade Center" to "Installation and Upgrade Center" and adding a reference in the Interactive Installation guide . 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.