Version control documentation inquiry
Service request description: Version control documentation in the help is currently quite limited.
After going through the help and support documents the only information I could gather was the following parameters that allow you to enable, export and import data to/from XML files.
svc_root (export folder)
svc_mode (1 perfcore; 2 svn)
svc_cleanbuild (1 ???)
Enhancement request QCCR1E103869 refers to 2 sm.exe switches flags which are otherwise undocumented:
The functionality is already supported by below two parameters: "-svc_files:", "Comma separated list of files for import/export operation." "-svc_excludefiles:", "Comma separated list of files to exclude for import/export operation."
In the help, there is the following comment:
Note: The commit window may not show all the changed files in the SM-APPS change list, and this problem occurs when the tables you have modified are not present in the svc_include.props property file in your <Server Dir>/RUN directory. To solve the problem, manually add the names of the tables to this file.
However when exporting, there are many folders exported that are not part of the list of tables included in this file.
What I would like to have documented is the following:
- The full list of sm.exe switches for version control and their options
- The full list of sm.ini options for version control and their options
- Whether or not it is recommended to use the "sm -svc_import" command while the Service Manager server is running
- Whether or not it is recommended to use the "sm -svc_import" command to deploy to a production environment
- What is the behaviour while exporting with regards to the svc_include.props file
- Does it contain a list of all files to export?
- Why does the export output more files than there are in the svc_include.props file?
- Is there a svc_exclude.props file that can be created?
- Are there any other relevant files in the ServiceManager\RUN (or other) directory?
- Is there an existing list of configuration files to export (or data files to exclude; example: format/formatctrl being config, incidents/probsummary being data)
- When importing data, will non-existing tables/files be created (related to point 5 in the Development environment preparation by developers section of the Version control process of the help)?
Thanks in advance
Re: Version control documentation inquiry
Hi Guillaume. Thanks for the feedback. We will look into this and see what we can do in future doc releases. The enhancement QCCR1E103869 you mentioned is now reopened to track the documentation update.