Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

9.41 Hybrid Mode

Jump to solution

Can you elaborate a bit on the Hybrid mode?

Does that allow one all the benefits of Codeless Configuration AND the ability to use older classic code, such as Formats, etc

Stacy Whetzell

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 9.41 Hybrid Mode

Jump to solution

Hi Stacy,

If I install a new Installation, Hybrid Mode is not an installation option.  Correct?  (IE, Hybrid is "strictly" available for users who "upgrade" from an 9.3? to 9.4x...?)

Yes. A new installation can only be forcely in Codeless mode. Only upgrading customers can select Classic/Codeless/Hybrid mode.

Pitt,

SM RnD Upgrade Factory

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hello Stacy,

In the words of the doc, Hybrid is a mode of Service Manager in which Process Designer technology is fully implemented, yet that allows you to continue using legacy technology such as Format Control. Service Manager 9.41 Hybrid eases the transition between Service Manager Classic and Service Manager Codeless by enabling you to continue to take advantage of your previous investments in legacy technology. This mode is available only to customers who are upgrading from a Service Manager 9.3x system that has Process Designer Content Pack 9.30.2 (PDCP3) applied.

On the guide attached, you can see everything you need to know about the Hybrid mode on SM.

Hope this helps, 

Regards,

Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

sounds good.

More questions though. 

Are there any disadvantages to going with Hybrid mode?  It sounds like if one is willing to go through the cost to do 2 upgrades (1 from 9.2 to 9.3x and then from 9.3x to 9.4x), that using Hybrid would be the best of both worlds (classic and codeless).

Somehow I feel like there are some disadvantages of Hybrid over codeless, but I have nothing to base that on....so I guess my final question is,

"are there any functions avaialble in Codeless that are not available in Hybrid"

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Stacy,

Codeless i.e. Process Designer ie. PD provides a full set of tools/rules that allow you to customize the modules in much the same way as you could using non-PD, legacy SM.   This is not to imply there is a one to one mapping of legacy tools to PD tools but that overall you can accomplish the same thing.

The long term for SM is that everything will eventually be Codeless/PD so that is naturally the focus of future product development.    One of the overall goals of Codelss mode is to ease the upgrade process as HP provided workflow is seperate from your customized workflows.

Steve Hirschfeld

HPE Support

Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

This statement got my attention:

This mode is available only to customers who are upgrading from a Service Manager 9.3x system that has Process Designer Content Pack 9.30.2 (PDCP3) applied.

I believe this is referring to Hybrid Mode....so I am asking for confirmation of this:  If I install a new Installation, Hybrid Mode is not an installation option.  Correct?  (IE, Hybrid is "strictly" available for users who "upgrade" from an 9.3? to 9.4x...?)

Sorry for asking so many questions that hours of reading manuals could reveal to me, but I'm trying to pick the expert brains clean while the picking is good.  :~).

Thanks so very much

Stacy Whetzell

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Stacy,

1. Are there any disadvantages to going with Hybrid mode?

The disavantage to Hybrid I think is Change and Problem modules are forcely in PD mode, which is one concern for such purge non-PD target upgrading customers. So for you, you need to upgrade 9.21 to 9.31 firstly and install PD 9.30.2 to enable PD Change, and then upgrade to Hybrid. But I think PD Change and PD Problem are more easily migrated than PD Service Desk and PD Incident.

2. Are there any functions avaialble in Codeless that are not available in Hybrid?

Basically Codeless and Hybrid have same modules, except they have different PD mode modules, and in Hybrid you can still re-activate legacy non-PD Request Management module. 

More comparison between Codeless and Hybrid you can refer to your another post - http://community.hpe.com/t5/Service-Manager-Support-Customer/SM9-4x-Hybrid-then-back-to-Codeless-and-Codeless-to-Hybrid/m-p/6829683/highlight/false#M6717

Pitt,

SM RnD Upgrade Factory

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Stacy,

If I install a new Installation, Hybrid Mode is not an installation option.  Correct?  (IE, Hybrid is "strictly" available for users who "upgrade" from an 9.3? to 9.4x...?)

Yes. A new installation can only be forcely in Codeless mode. Only upgrading customers can select Classic/Codeless/Hybrid mode.

Pitt,

SM RnD Upgrade Factory

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.