Commodore
Commodore

Advanced Search limits actual results

Jump to solution
Is anyone aware of why some advanced search results are limited? We have a situation where by searching on the title field (simply a text field) limits the returned results to no more than 50? Is this a feature to prevent inefficient searching? Can it be turned off?

My Company are using SM7.11 on Windows using a polyserver load balancing environment.

Thanks for your help in advance
John
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
There is a parameter that can be set in the sm.ini file. It controls, for text fields, searching results returned:

***********From Help****************
Information retrieval (IR) expert parameters: ir_max_relevant_answers
Parameter
ir_max_relevant_answers
Description
This parameter defines the maximum number of relevant records an Information Retrieval search can return.

Valid if set from
server's OS command prompt
Initialization file (sm.ini)
Requires restart of Service Manager server?
Yes
Default value
Possible values
Number of relevant records
Example usage
Command line: sm -httpPort:13080 -ir_max_relevant_answers:100
Initialization file: ir_max_relevant_answers:100

We have modified ours to 200 with no ill affects.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
I'm not quite sure what you're asking...

Are you saying that when you perform an advanced search, there are hundreds of records that actually meet the search criteria, but only 50 records ever get returned?

Or are you saying that when you use the advanced search, the first 50 records return, then when you scroll down to the next record, it takes time to load the next 50, and so on...

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore
Apologies,

To clarify even if the search should return hundreds of records it only ever returns 50.

John
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Hmm... I haven't seen any limitations on the number of records returned when a user performs a search... But I have seen cases where what the user _thinks_ they are looking for isn't _exactly_ what the system has.

Can you show screenshots of the query you're using in the advanced search, the results (especially the count), and then a list/count of the records found another way?

For example, a search like:

brief.description="This is a test"

will not return records where the brief.description is "This is a test." or "This is a test to see if something works" or "Thsi is a test" or "THIS IS A TEST"

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
There is a parameter that can be set in the sm.ini file. It controls, for text fields, searching results returned:

***********From Help****************
Information retrieval (IR) expert parameters: ir_max_relevant_answers
Parameter
ir_max_relevant_answers
Description
This parameter defines the maximum number of relevant records an Information Retrieval search can return.

Valid if set from
server's OS command prompt
Initialization file (sm.ini)
Requires restart of Service Manager server?
Yes
Default value
Possible values
Number of relevant records
Example usage
Command line: sm -httpPort:13080 -ir_max_relevant_answers:100
Initialization file: ir_max_relevant_answers:100

We have modified ours to 200 with no ill affects.

View solution in original post

Fleet Admiral
Beth - I'd give you 100 points if I could 🙂

I love learning something new!
0 Likes
I believe that the ir_max_relevant_answers parm only controls the IR search results and not non-IR search results.
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
In all likelihood, the Title/brief.description field is included in the IR Key. For that reason, any search which includes the title will be limited by the ir paremeters.
----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.