Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Application upgrade 9.52 fails with "Cannot connect to external file"

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade application version from 9.50 to 9.52 on Linux.

I got the error message:

"Cannot connect to external file /var/lib/tomcat/webapps/webtier-9.52/AppPatchMgr/SM9.50-9.52.0011/patchrel.unl"

But the files are there and also readable for everyone.

I also tried an upgrade via windows client, but I got the same error message.

Maybe someone could give me a hint what goes wrong?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: Application upgrade 9.52 fails with "Cannot connect to external file"

Jump to solution

Ok, I changed the unload type to server side and the used the files in my home-directory from which I installed the hpsm.

Now it seems to be working. 🙂

The documentation is not very good at this special point.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Jump to solution

I'm guessing that since you put it in your webapp folder that you tried to run the patch using the web client. You want to do that with the thick client, not the web - but the patch files will need to be in a location which the application can reach. So place the patch files on the app server and then give it another shot. 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

Same problem with the windows client.

Using SystemAdministration->OngoingMaintenance\UpgradeUtility\ApplyUpgrade it says "Please input the fully qualified path to the upgrade utility package.

I tried several option, also with "c:\...\patchrel.unl" at the end without success. 

Windows->User->Client-load-unload was turned on.

Maybe anyone has an idea? Thansk a lot!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

Ok, I changed the unload type to server side and the used the files in my home-directory from which I installed the hpsm.

Now it seems to be working. 🙂

The documentation is not very good at this special point.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.