Assignment group clearing out when tickets are saved
We're getting an issue where when we create a ticket and save it, it'll show the assignment group in the assignment group field but when we pull that ticket back up there's no assignment group.
I noticed it after I added a new field to our device dbdict. I wouldn't think this would be the root of the issue, but that's the only changed I did to the environment before I noticed it.
We also copied one of our environments that wasn't having the issue to the environment that was having the issue, but the issue is still occuring.
Things to check:
1. On the format, make sure the Assignment Field has the correct input.
2. Make sure the name of the input (probably assignment) is listed in the dbdict record for that table.
3. In the dbdict record for that table, make sure the input field is correctly mapped to the database (m1 vs. n1).