Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Background processes are getting hung frequently

Hi All,

I am using HP Service Manager 9.21 version. I am facing issues with background processes like linker, problem etc. They are getting hung frequently. As a work around i am restarting those background processes from Service Status option of SM tool.

Please help me to solve this issue permanently.

Regards,

Rohan

0 Likes
16 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If you are using 9.21 Patch 5, you can use the newer Anubis which can auto-restarted dead background process automatically for you. If anubis do not restart them, you could be experiencing a bigger issue.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi Jas1,

Thank you for your reply.

anubis background process is not present in my SM tool.

Please tell me the steps as how to configure and start anubis background process in SM tool.

Regards,

Rohan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Just search on Anubis in the SM online help. It has explanation and the steps to set it up.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

anubis will only start up a background process if it has completely died....not hung.  A hung process might be due to an OutofMemory error.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi TomPowe,

Please help me to solve this issue.

problem background process got hung after configuring and starting anubis background process also.

If we are facing memory issue then Please let me know how to check the following:

1) How to check how much memory is needed in SM tool server.

2) How to solve OutofMemory issue in SM tool server.

3) Is there any changes we have to do in case of JVM if yes then please let me know where i have to go and do the changes.

4) We have 1 load balancer and 9 servlets enabled in sm.cfg file. Please let me know for this configuration how much memory is needed in SM server.

Note:  We have vertical scaling environment.

Regards,

Rohan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Are your background processes listed in sm.cfg or are they all in the sm system.start? If you have them all in system.start, then one idea is to give the ones that are hanging their own server process, such as putting something like this in the sm.cfg:

sm -bg scheduler linker 45 4

This would give linker its own process. This alone might help.  You can also add -log:linker.log  to give it's own log file so you can watch it closer.

As for JVM Options, this can differ for each system, but these are the ones we have in our sm.ini. They work for us in all our environments:

JVMOption0:-Xms256M
JVMOption1:-Xmx256M
JVMOption2:-Xdump:heap:opts=PHD+CLASSIC
JVMOption3:-XX:MaxPermSize=128m
JVMOption4:-XX:PermSize=128M
JVMOption5:-Xtgc:scavenger
JVMOption6:-Xgcpolicy:gencon
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi TomPowe,

I have a little doubt in the command:  "sm -bg scheduler linker 45 4"

1) Please tell me what is 45 and 4 refers?

2) I am facing this issue with other background processes (problem and event) as well. Please let me know the command i have to write in sm.cfg file for these 3 background processes(linker,problem and event)? Whether i have to change the value 45 and 4 for each background process entry in sm.cfg file?

3) Please let me know whether i have to restart SM server service after updating the commands in sm.cfg file?

Once again thank you for helping me and replying my concerns.

Regards,

Rohan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

That command is going to start linker in it's own process on the server.  If you are going to add that to sm.cfg, you will need to bounce the server.  In addition, you need to go into the "startup" record within the "info" table and remove the linker reference. That way you wont have to linker processes going at the same time: one in the system.startup process and one in this new process.

The 45 and 4 should reflect the parameters that your linker starts with.  If you want to see what yours looks like, look at the "linker" record in the "info" table.  

Yes, if you were to do problem or other background processes, you would need to also remove those from the "startup" record. They also would have their own parameters, so you should look their records in the info table to see what they are.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi TomPowe,

We have made an entry of problem and linker background processes in sm.cfg file and removed the entries from "startup" record of "info" table. 3-4 days it worked fine, But today we faced issue with linker background process. It got hung suddenly. Please help us to find out the permanent solution of this issue.

Regards,

Rohan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Does the log show anything?  If not, then make sure you have a -log:linker.log  parameter on the command in the sm.cfg so next time linker is writing to its own log and you can see what errors occur.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi TomPowe,

Thank You for replying all my concerns pertaining to this issue.

Please provide me a syntax as how i can configure a log file entry for background processes: problem, linker and event in sm.cfg file.

I have made the following entry in sm.cfg file for these 3 background processes:

sm -bg scheduler problem 30 0

sm -bg scheduler linker 30 2

sm -bg scheduler event 30 1

Also please find attached sm.cfg file present in my environment. Please let me know whether i have to do any changes or updates in this file to solve this issue.

Yesterday we faced the background process getting hung issue with problem background process. Idle time for problem background process became 00:00:00 in system.status screen.

Regards,

Rohan

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.