Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Background processes are getting hung frequently

Hi All,

I am using HP Service Manager 9.21 version. I am facing issues with background processes like linker, problem etc. They are getting hung frequently. As a work around i am restarting those background processes from Service Status option of SM tool.

Please help me to solve this issue permanently.

Regards,

Rohan

0 Likes
16 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi TomPowe,

Sorry i have not attached sm.cfg file in my previous reply.

Please find attached the same with this reply.

Regards,

Rohan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

I've been thinking about this.  9.2x had issues, even we had issues with background processes hanging.  You should upgrade to 9.3x or 9.4x.  That will fix your issue, for sure.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi TomPowe,

We cannot upgrade our HP Service Manager 9.2x version to HP Service Manager 9.3x version or 9.4x version because of certain constraints from project side. Please help me in solving issue in current version only. Please let me know whether the entries made in sm.cfg file are correct or i have to do any changes in that. Also please provide me the syntax that i have to write in sm.cfg file to get log files generated for these background processes(linker, problem and event).

Regards,

Rohan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

First,  I would remove all of these parameters from the sm.cfg and put them in your sm.ini, since they are shared amongst all your processes:

-JVMOption0:-Xms256M -JVMOption1:-Xmx384M -JVMOption2:-Xrs -JVMOption3:-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -numberoflogfiles:7 -maxlogsize:50000000

You will need to add these lines to your sm.cfg:

sm -bg scheduler problem 30 0 -log:problem.log

sm -bg scheduler linker 30 2 -log:linker.log

sm -bg scheduler event 30 1 -log:event.log

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Hi Rohan,

The problem process may be the root of the problem. I have been having the same issue. I am in the SM 9.35 and when I restart the problem, the linker and the schedule have returned to work.

You should to check if the problem are having lot of messages to process, the help server said you can create other process for handling the messages

add_additional_message_processors

You could check for patches with bug fixes.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.