New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Best Practices for migrating old data

We have upgraded Dev/Test from 7.11 to 9.20 and plan to promote 9.20 Test server to Prod. I would like to know whats the best practice in bringing historic ticket/case data from 7.11 to 9.20. Can I use incidents, probsummary, rootcause, cm3r etc table unloads to bring this data. What will I need to bring related attachments? Any other files I need? I will be resetting the numbers file after the migration.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If you actually used the upgrade utility to upgrade the DEV system, the upgrade methodology is to create an custom upgrade from the upgraded DEV system that includes the upgrades, plus any tailoring you've done to resolve variances wth your tailored components. You then apply that custom upgrade to the Production system, and all records are carried forward.

Did you upgrade or reimplement?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

We upgraded Dev from 7.11 to 9.20 using upgrade utility then completed conflict resolution then created the upgrade package and applied to Test and that was successful.

After fixing issues in Test, we ran the upgrade utility again to create a package for Prod and that was success too. However, when we applied it to Prod, it was a complete failure. Lots of unrecoverable system errors, RAD errors, links and format control errors etc. So we had to roll back to 7.11 in prod.

Now the strategy is to implement Prod via Test database and bring the ticket data in and thats where I am looking for best approach on how to do this.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi There,

I've done a really big reimplement project, and the way I've done was: check the database of the old and the new system, change the new system's tables to have the custom fields, and check all fields datatype(HP changed some field's datatype during upgrades so we need to change it on the new system). After the database tables are able to store the data, you can use OOB unload and load utility, or simple move the data on db level. Of course you should do it on a  test system first, to be sure it'll work properly.

We've moved only those tables that were used by us, but of course you can mive all of them as well.

Regards, Laszlo!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

hi guys,

I am reaching out once again... can I purge existing probsummary in 9.20 at the db level and take the existing probsummary from prod in 7.11 and that will migrate all incident records to dev?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hello,

You will need  to migrate relation records(screlate) too, attachments if they are present, the related records (like interactions and other stuff).

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.