Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Best way to go about putting a description template in incidents

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a requirement to put in a plain text "template" in the description of SD's and IM's. This can be removed if needed. The problem is that we have some tickets auto created through web services, that fills out data in the description and this info should not get overwritten by the template. Is there somewhere in the PD or some triggers that I can put this template into the description, but without overwriting auto created tickets?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Best way to go about putting a description template in incidents

Jump to solution

OK, I got you wrong. There are still some options to try, I hope they are more helpful.

Are the webservice tickets are created by the certain operator dedicated to web service connections? If they are, then the rule's condition could be something like (RAD expression):

operator()~="yourwebserviceoperator"

If I got you right, the scenario A is following:

1. SD/IM ticket is created by a webservice with the title
  2. Now the initialization rule checks if the operator is the operator dedicated to webservice connections
    1. if it is, the title is not modified

Scenario B is following:

1. Service Desk/IM agent opens a new the SD/IM ticket
    1. because the operator is not the webservice operator, the rule's code is run, and your template title text in put the the ticket

Of course the solution is prone to changes in webservice operator's name.

A more certain way is to mark those tickets which are created by webservice. If you are able to modify "extacceses" (Tailoring > Web Services > Web Service Configuration), you could put to Expression tab of the extaccess a row like

if ($L.mode="add") then (YourFieldHere in $L.file=true)

and use the true/false value in our template rule whether the template title is shown or not. I'm not aware there's such a "mark webservice tickets" feature already.

---
Moving on, this account is no longer active. Best regards, Kelalek
- So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Did I understood right that this description template text is always the same one? (I assume you did not mean the SM Templates, but a sample text.)

If I memory server me right, rule's run condition should be Rad Expression "gui()" (without quotes). Which means it will be only run if the ticket is created via SM client (desktop/web). Of course the rule should be added to a first phase of workflow, probably to "initialization". Now the tickets created by web service clients shouldn't be affected by this rule.

---
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Yes it's just the same text. In PD i'm setting a rule saying Description=" template values" in the initialization of the first phase of the workflow. However just tried again and this overwrites the web service value. The WS description field should take priority over the rule in PD

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Okay, put the rule to the workflow's "On Add" instead of "initialization".

---
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

On add runs when the record is saved. I would need it before, initialization, when its first opened. It's meant to be like a
"note" that can be edited or removed but should show up initially. But at the same time for the web service value to take priority over it. Would something like this be possible

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

I'm not on 9.5, so I can't tell you for certain, but, in previous versions of HPSM, applying a Template to a record did not overwrite any data that was already there.  I think the rules of the 'Template.apply" RAD application that is used when you apply a Template record to a ticket only populate fields that are NULL with the data from the Template.

So you may be trying to code for something that won't actually occur.  What happens when you try it?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

OK, I got you wrong. There are still some options to try, I hope they are more helpful.

Are the webservice tickets are created by the certain operator dedicated to web service connections? If they are, then the rule's condition could be something like (RAD expression):

operator()~="yourwebserviceoperator"

If I got you right, the scenario A is following:

1. SD/IM ticket is created by a webservice with the title
  2. Now the initialization rule checks if the operator is the operator dedicated to webservice connections
    1. if it is, the title is not modified

Scenario B is following:

1. Service Desk/IM agent opens a new the SD/IM ticket
    1. because the operator is not the webservice operator, the rule's code is run, and your template title text in put the the ticket

Of course the solution is prone to changes in webservice operator's name.

A more certain way is to mark those tickets which are created by webservice. If you are able to modify "extacceses" (Tailoring > Web Services > Web Service Configuration), you could put to Expression tab of the extaccess a row like

if ($L.mode="add") then (YourFieldHere in $L.file=true)

and use the true/false value in our template rule whether the template title is shown or not. I'm not aware there's such a "mark webservice tickets" feature already.

---

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thank you. Though now when clicking "escalate" without saving first, the value does not get saved in the interaction. Is there any documentation on how that process works? Setting a value in intialization seems to overwrite whatever the user puts in afterwards.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Yeah, escalation process is quite complicated to tailor. There is a PDF called "Processes and Best Practices guide" coming with every SM installation and also in a support site, but it won't go into details which rulesets are processes are involved when escalating SD. There's also a document in SM's internal Help Center called "Consider rule set execution order", surely worth checking.

When tailoring escalation process I used some variables to hold information to prevent data being cleared by the escalation process. To keep tailoring easy to maintain, I'd choose editing extaccess.

---
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Got it to work.Thanks for your help!!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.