Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Bulk upload information without replacing existing data

Jump to solution

Hi Expert, I am trying to update a list of information for all my contacts in SM. As there is a huge number of lists, I decided to bulk upload the information from Database Manager,

However, I would like to remain the information for the rest of the fields and update only the information from a few specific fields.

For example, For each contact, there is Contact Name, Employee ID, Manager, Company and Dept Name. I would like to update the information for the Manager field only and remain the information in Contact Name, Employee ID, Company, Dept Name's field.

Can this be done from Database Manager? If no, can you advice if there is any other methods to do this?

FYI. my SM version is 9.41 OOTB

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for your feedback and so sorry for the late response.

I have managed to solve this using ConnectIt. Anyway, still I am interested to find out if this is possible via Text Import Wizard in SM. Attached is all the screenshots which you requested.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Database Manager is the means by which you can access tables that aren't available using Menu Navigation or by switching the 'Look For' while on a Search screen.  You can also use it to bypass normal processing of records using the 'Administration mode', which allows you to specify the form the system uses to display records and use the 'db.view' displayscreen instead of the displayscreen/displayoption records that would normally appear when accessing the records through more conventional means.

So I'm not really clear on what you mean when you say you want to use Database Manager.

If you mean the Text Import Wizard (using Database Manager, from the menu select 'Text Import Wizard'), where you can take a .csv and add or update records - sure you can do that.  The contents of the .csv should have _JUST_ the data you want.  By default, the system ignores data that is empty, so if you had columns for Contact Name and Manager, with an Import Mode value of 'Replace', the system would query on the Contact Name field and update the value in the Manager field.

If you mean a 'Mass Update' - which is available if you have the right permissions when viewing a table using Database Manager - the system will only update the values you set.  With the Template Update and Simple Update, it will only perform the updates to the values you specify.  If you put a value in the Manager field, then just that field will be updated (as well as the stamped fields like sysmodtime, sysmoduser, sysmodcount, etc).  If you use Complex Mass Update, the system will evaluate whatever expressions you set.

If you mean the File Import/Load, though, that will copy all the data in your Unload record and write that to the table(s) specified in the unload (which really doesn't make sense in this use case, so I don't think that's what you're doing).

Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Hi Jacob, 

Thanks for your detailed explanations and sorry for the confusion.

Yes, what I am trying to do is using the Text Import Wizard from Database Manager to upload my contacts information.

However, this is the results I get. Contact_test_SM.JPG

If you see from the screenshot attached, the previous information has become blank. What I am trying to do here is update the Manager field only without modifying the existing information in the other fields.

Attached is the .csv file which I am trying to upload.

Kindly advice

Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hmm... interesting.  Can you show the import record you're using?  Like, when you select the 'Text Import Wizard' the system walks you through selecting a file to import and the destination table, and then you either get a list (if there is more than one for that table) or you get taken to the 'Import Wizard 3/4' page that lays out the contents of your import.

There, it shows the Import Mode, the name of whatever formatctrl record gets called on the import, the expected fields in the import, and an Advanced tab where you can set expressions.

Can you show that import file?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for your feedback and so sorry for the late response.

I have managed to solve this using ConnectIt. Anyway, still I am interested to find out if this is possible via Text Import Wizard in SM. Attached is all the screenshots which you requested.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.