Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
759 views

Can't add new fields to probsummary

Jump to solution
When attempting to add new fields to the probsummary table, the fields are added to the Oracle table but the SM7 dbdict does not get updated. The system hangs and the dbdict never gets updated. I have tried using both the System Definition and the DBDICT utilities. Neither method worked. Has anyone had a similar problem?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
I had the same problem. I was able to add fields to the database but they were not updating in dbdict. I had a web session with HP support where I was able to show them that the actual problem existed. The only solution they offered me was a work around.
Since I was able to add the fields in our Dev environment they suggested that I copy the Production database over to DEV, add the new fields and then copy the database back over. This took a really long time to do as our Production database was fairly large.

We decided to upgrade our server binaries to version 7.02 and it fixed our problem. You can try the work around or you can try upgrading to version 7.02. Worked for me.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
How are you adding the fields?
--in Oracle first, then using the Import SQL columns function?
--Using the dbdict utility and having SM7 make the changes?
--Using the SDU?

What version of SM7 are you using?
----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
We've had the issue where the sql table is set to m1, save, come back in later only to find the sql table is now set to n1 (nulltable).

Nothing like your predicament.

When you're in dbdict, does it give you the 'Import new columns from SQL' button on the tool bar?
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
I have tried adding the fields many different ways.
1. System Definition
2. DBDICT
3. Modify an Existing SQL Mapping

The result is always the same. The session hangs and the fields are not added to the dbdict.

I just tried your suggestion to use "import new columns from SQL" and got the same bad result. The sm.log does not provide much information either. The message " RTE I Starting to copy 47237 records" is displayed but not much else. That is the number of probsummary records. Why would it need to copy the records?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Have you verified that the datatypes added are valid in SM?
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
The data types are character (nvarchar2 in Oracle).
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
nvarchar2 in Oracle

I saw that used in SM7.01.053

Version SM7.01.071 changed them back to varchar2

What version SM7 are you using?
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
7.01.053
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
I had the same problem. I was able to add fields to the database but they were not updating in dbdict. I had a web session with HP support where I was able to show them that the actual problem existed. The only solution they offered me was a work around.
Since I was able to add the fields in our Dev environment they suggested that I copy the Production database over to DEV, add the new fields and then copy the database back over. This took a really long time to do as our Production database was fairly large.

We decided to upgrade our server binaries to version 7.02 and it fixed our problem. You can try the work around or you can try upgrading to version 7.02. Worked for me.

View solution in original post

Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
Thanks, Mindy! I'll try the binary upgrade to see if that will fix the problem.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.