Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can we configure more than one SMTP servers !!

Hi Team,

We are using Service Desk4.5 with SP20 and OS is windows 2003 with SP1.
Curremtly we have configured one SMTP Server ip address in Eamil Sttings.
System -> Sytem Panel -> Email(General -> E-Mail Server).
Now we would like to configure two more SMTP servers in E-mail settings to reduce load.

Thanks in advance,
N
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Can we configure more than one SMTP servers !!

Hi there,

Sorry - this is not possible - only 1 outbound smtp server can be set.

Regards, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for your kind information.

Is there any work around for this issue, Because in my environment call volume is very high, we are sending mail notification and sms notifications to users and engineers in almost every status due to this my exchange server configured in SD is facing performance issues.

N
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What you could do is sort of "SMTP forwarder" - i.e. the machine you configure in SD would be a "proxy" for 3 real SMTP servers and would just forward incoming TCP connection to the real ones (round-robin base for example). Requires a bit of coding or configuration but should easily be done. However it brings in a single point of failure - when that forwarder dies, all SMTP become unaccessible.

To overcome this I think you could do this: setup a DNS record with very short expiration time (let's say 10 seconds) that would be changing its destination to those 3 SMTP servers of yours. So first 10 seconds it would point to server 1, then to server 2, than to server 3, then ... This way you'd split the load to all 3 of them. Requires some advanced DNS configuration however.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

hi,

What you can do is, instead of using SMTP of SD, call bmail.exe thru a .bat file (a free util). Then, in 50%(or as you wish) of the DB Rules, configure your .bat file(with bmail.exe, pointing to SMTP server ip->1.1.1.1) to use your first SMTP Server, and rest of the db rule use another .bat file (pointing the SMTP serve IP to 1.1.1.2)

Pls let me know, if you need more info.

Ashly A K
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.