New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Delegate Approvals SM 9.2x

Jump to solution

In Service Manager 9.21 I was experimenting with another user and trying to delegate approvals. However when you go throw the Delegate Approvals wizard it never seems to have the outcome one expects. I was expecting a list of approvals within the delegated time frame the approval delegation was given. However I did not find such a result. What are the results we  should be looking for?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Also a case has been opened with HP Partner support.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

When you use the delegation wizard, you're assigning your capability to approve for certain modules/groups/etc. to another individual for a given time frame. It is not tied to how many changes/quotes/etc. you need to approve, but on your role as an approver. The Approval Delegation wizard is only used to define delegation, it is not used by delegates to approve.

When the delegate logs into SM and accesses the Change Management queue, then selects the Approve option, the list of changes to be approved will include both the changes they could normally approve PLUS those which they can approve as a delegate.They do not have to do anything with the Approval Delegation wizard.

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Highlighted
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hello John,

will it drop to the delegated person approval list changes, which were already in the approval list for the former approver or it will work only for the changes which will be droped for approval after delegation was fullfiled? Also does it automatically add the delegated person to the groups in which the former approver was assigned?

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the responses and questions. I tried different scenarios with the delegates. I however did not get the approver to have access to changes needing approval prior ot delegation and after delegation. I would have thought the approvals would appear in the person's queue after they log in again but it didnt return that result. I had made sure the operator profile allowed for delegates but in our test environments it didnt produce your defined results.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I was told to look at the view "Active approval delegations assigned to me" bu that seems to give data from the ApprovalDelegations table not active "Change Approvals" pending for the operator to "approve" them. I am trying to get the active approvals associated with changes that are pending in the system.

So the functionality was assumed and told to me: someone goes on vacation for two weeks but tells someone else to approve their changes for them while they are out. However those don't appear on the Current approval queue or view once delegated. However even if the person searches the change numbers specifically they can't see the "approve" button in the associated approval.

I went to the change/approval record directly but the button was still not active for that user. $L.can.approve was the variable that was not set to true which is what gives access to view the approval button, taken from approval.view screen, it looks to be set in approval.init process which calls a RAD process.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hello Justin

Unfortunatelly I have not played with approval delegation before. Just to check, does the person to which you delegeated approvals get the required capability word in the operator record?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The operator profiles used for testing have the "Can delegate approvals" marked as true. The operators are verfied when trying to go through the list wizard to "change" times or whatever it is. The times are always set to be encompassing the current timeframe.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Also a case has been opened with HP Partner support.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

When a manager approves a change in our 9.2 SM environment they select Close Phase. When a delegate is assigned because they are not technically approving a change the delegate doesn't appear to inherit the ability to close the phase. Is there a capability word that we need to include so a delegate inherits the ability to approve a change by closing the phase?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

When a person approves they get a capability word that is evaluated in RAD for $L.can.approve. Approval delegation is going to use a different process to evaluate access than closing the phase. Approval delegation has a hotfix from HP in order to get it working with the change management module.

To close the phase it has to meet the display-options conditions for that screen. cm.view.display_close GUI option 5 should give you the condition that needs to be met to close phase.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.