Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Error in Web-Browser "Cannot evaluate expression"

Jump to solution

While users are using HP Service Manager 9.21.113 they intermittently get a error that  "Cannot evaluate expression (display,sho.rio)"

I have attached multiple screenshots. They are different computers, one uses IE8 windows xp, one IE8 windows 7, one uses IE9 on windows 7.

I can not reporduce it on command or with any particular reason. I can't debug it either because everytime I try to recreate it I can't. It only happens when the web-browser locks up and the user has to hit refresh on the page to resolve the issue because all controls lockup.

Note:

One was trying to create a change and had to refresh the page and that error came up.

Another person, screenshot 2, updated a task and then it came up with a white screen and had to refresh and then the error came up. Is this a RAD error?

For searching purposes the error reads as follows:

Cannot evaluate expression (display,show.rio)

Bad arg(1) oper ~= (display,sho.rio)

Bad arg(1) oper ~= (display,show.rio)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Error in Web-Browser "Cannot evaluate expression"

Jump to solution
I solved this problem by eliminating all menu entrylines with the condition "name in $mm.menu~=$lo.home" out of the user-menus...

Ps.: *afind.string with String="name in $mm.menu~=$lo.home" and File="menu" might help you to locate these entries if you wanna give it a try => I backupped the old entries by Adding the Prefix-BACKUP ...

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

The errors in this case only narrow down the focus a little. The show.rio panel within the display RAD Application is responsible for rendering (displaying) the record in the form within the Display Screen. It is reasonable to start your research in the cm.view.display Display Screen and associated Display Options. It may also be useful to review your form(s) if you use DVD or Input/Output Conversion routines.

Identifying steps which reproduce the error will be key in troubleshooting this issue. There are likely too many expressions which use the ~= operator. It should be noted that while this is a "RAD" error, the failure point could be due to a RAD function (which is controlled by the RTE/binaries). If this is case, reviewing the expressions may not help since the failure is due to a defect (versus due to a "bad" expression).

Another possible cause is when the evaluate() function fails due to a variable or field that is not populated as expected (e.g. condition within a profile/environment record).

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I think I might have run into the same problem. Bear with me as this will appear to be a bit strange.

During a refresh (or opening another browser window pointing to the webtier) something is happening with the menu loading. Somewhere the webtier is trying to evaluate expressions in the menu and failing.

Someone in these forums (sorry for not remembering or checking the post at the moment) pointed out that the problem couldn't be replicated with an administrative user. This is because the adminusers don't parse the conditions on menu items.

I think you might be able to stop these errors from occuring if you set all menu conditions to true for these users. This means creating menu's for each and every role with all menu-items conditions set to true.

I have not had the time to replicate these problems in a OOB environment and therefor I haven't sent a bug to HP yet.

Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
I solved this problem by eliminating all menu entrylines with the condition "name in $mm.menu~=$lo.home" out of the user-menus...

Ps.: *afind.string with String="name in $mm.menu~=$lo.home" and File="menu" might help you to locate these entries if you wanna give it a try => I backupped the old entries by Adding the Prefix-BACKUP ...

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

@sparjohn wrote:

Works perfectly. Thanks for the information!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

can i have the steps for this?

Appreciate that if anyone can provide

thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

After a long journey through endless lists of user conditions....

This solution saved my day!

Bo 🙂

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.