Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Exchange information between two automation tasks

Use case 

Request Model with multiple tasks. Two of them are of type automation and are executed sequentially (-> second automation task will be executed as soon as first automation task is closed). The second task needs information from the first task as an input for the automation. There is a need for exchanging data between the two task without needing manual intervention. 

Approaches I thought of:

Option 1

Use an additional property as an output of automation task 1 and set its value automatically to the needed data as soon as the task is closed. Use the additional property in automation task 2 as an input. 

Problem: I didn't find a way to populate the additional property automatically. I tried to use a validation script but could not make it work. I also had a brief look at rule sets but I'm not experienced with rule sets so I did not find an solution here as well. 

Option 2

Use a java script function in automation task 2 to query the information I need from task 1. I was able to put together a function which performs the query I need. 

Problem: I didn't find a way to get the task number from the previous task in the request model. 

Option 3

Use an additional property as an output of automation task 1 and set its value automatically to the request task (number) of the current task. Use the additional property in automation task 2 as an input and call the js function from option2 to get the data I need. 

Problem: I didn't find a way to populate the additional property automatically. I tried to use a validation script but could not make it work. I also had a brief look at rule sets but I'm not experienced with rule sets so I did not find an solution here as well. 

Question: how can I automatically exchange data / values between two automation tasks without manual intervention? I would appreciate any information that would help me to complete any of my solution options but I'm open to any other approach as well. I just need a way to exchange data between the two task without the need for any human inputs / selections. 

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Exchange information between two automation tasks

Hi Preif

Regarding your concern, I just want to let you know that we have reached more resources on this.

My collaboration team is aware of this and as soon as possible we will provide you an answer.

thank you and regards.

Carlos Villalobos R
Customer Support Engineer
If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

your question is about Request Model but the answer would apply also to Incident Tasks or Change Tasks.

Every task has a parent record.
In case of Request Model this is the Request itself (table request),
in case of Incident Task this is the incident record (table probsummary),
in case of Change Tasks this is the Change record (table cm3r).

What about writing the output of task 1 back to the parent record (request / probsummary / cm3r ) ?
For this solution you need to store the content in a field in the parent table, not only in the task.
The second task then should be able to read that value form the parent record.

I hope that helps.

Thank you for using the MicroFocus ServiceManager Support and News Forum. If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Hi Heike,

thank you for your post. I was hoping for a more OOTB way of doing it, but if there is no other way I might try that.

How would that be done in detail ?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.