Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

FIPS mode in hp sm

Jump to solution

Experts,

Could you please tell me what kind of security does it gve if I enable the FIPS mode in HP Service Manager ?.

Does it give any level of security to the windows client in hP SM ?. Would it allow not to sniff the client user name and password from network?

I am on HP SMv9.40 classic and doesnt have TLS /SSL setup.

thx

dev

I am Listening..
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: FIPS mode in hp sm

Jump to solution

what level of security does it give to HP SM windows client ? A high level of security using FIPS HMACDRBG random number generation algorithms.

Does it provide the level of encryption to the windows client users (username and password) , which wouldn’t allow sniffing of their network password ? There should not be an ability to sniff the user's network password, however, if you find this to be possible, you should immediately open a case.

does the FIPS mode allow us to setup an encryption on the username and password of the users using windows client of HP SM? If I recall correctly, this feature already exists when using the "Remember My Password" option with just SSL enabled so since SSL is required to use FIPS, then this should happen.

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please remember to click "Accept as Solution". If you are satisfied with anyone’s response, please remember to give them KUDOS by clicking on the "thumbs up" at the bottom left of the post to show your appreciation.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello Brav0,

hope you are doing great.

According your concern, you could take a look on the following zip file, there is a pdf guide with all information about it.

https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM02204270

Carlos Villalobos R
Customer Support Engineer
If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thank you for the document Carlos.

Couple of questions on FIPS mode enablement in HP SM,

what level of security does it give to HP SM windows client ?.

Does it provide the level of encryption to the windows client users (username and password) , which wouldn’t allow sniffing of their network password ?

does the FIPS mode allow us to setup an encryption on the username and password of the users using windows client of HP SM?.

I am Listening..
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

what level of security does it give to HP SM windows client ? A high level of security using FIPS HMACDRBG random number generation algorithms.

Does it provide the level of encryption to the windows client users (username and password) , which wouldn’t allow sniffing of their network password ? There should not be an ability to sniff the user's network password, however, if you find this to be possible, you should immediately open a case.

does the FIPS mode allow us to setup an encryption on the username and password of the users using windows client of HP SM? If I recall correctly, this feature already exists when using the "Remember My Password" option with just SSL enabled so since SSL is required to use FIPS, then this should happen.

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please remember to click "Accept as Solution". If you are satisfied with anyone’s response, please remember to give them KUDOS by clicking on the "thumbs up" at the bottom left of the post to show your appreciation.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply Mike.

So what I understand is, by enabling FIPS is very similar to certifcate based encryption for the windows client.

I am Listening..
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Generally yes, and there are more actions that can be done to make it even more secure. The FIPS Guide is quite thorough. You might think of a full FIPS implementation as your "maximum" level of security with SM.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.