Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Force Keys to order by primary key correctly.

Jump to solution

Within Service Manager, There are a number of records that consume a number record for their key .

However if that key contains a prefix or a suffix the sort order within the view is not numerical.

e.g. List will display as:

- RF100289

- RF10029

- RF100290

Is there a way we can actually force a numerical sort without adding another field? 

- Could this be added to a further version? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

as a workaround, you could use sorting by "open time" field

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor..

I hope you are talking about qbe list views of records. If that is correct, then you can make the Table columns clickable by  selecting checkbox "Clickable Title" to true in the corresponding qbe FD.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor..

Probably wasn't clear enough, they already are clickable, just the order is alphabetical vs numerical.

So for anything using a number record and you attempt a sort of the primary key it's not a numerical sequence, it's alphabetical, which annoys a large chunk of our customers as the "Last Page" isn't the last records or first records submitted it's just whatever came last or first in the alphabetical order.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor..

For me it is not the same. Are you able to replicate this across all modules? See the attached screenshots and you shall have an understanding on my previous reply. We make the columns clickable only to sort the ID's. 

search_clickableColumn.JPG

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor..

Sure can replicate it, 

Happens on Change, Request, Request Task, Incident and Problem all sorting on number

Bog standard request task view.

clipboard_image_0.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor..
This is strange. What was the search criteria. And did you check the logs yet?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor..

Nothing in the logs, no errors in the UI, this query was just "true", we're running 9.62.

- happens in all queries.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor..
May be wiser it will be to raise a support case. Not sure if that will be of any help though.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

as a workaround, you could use sorting by "open time" field

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor..
Pretty much what I've told them to restore to, was just seeing if anyone had a way round this but to appears i'll need to go to support if I want it addressed.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I don't think Support will be able to assist much as developers will come back with, "This is by design" and has been this way since the beginning.

Sort for alphanumeric value will always sort by alpha and not by number. 

Since the new enhancement process is more transparent and driven by customer demand. Best avenue would be the Ideas Exchange.

You could submit an Idea at https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/SMA-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/SMA-X-Ideas to ask that the sort be enhanced to break the value to 2 parts: suffix and numbers and sort only by the numbers.

I am sure a lot of the members here will vote for it. I have seen this complain in a few incarnations of helpdesk softwares. Maybe with enough support/push from the community, we can finally get the sorting "redesigned" to work better. You will have my vote.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If you ended here due to your users complaints, please help vote for redesign of the sort in Service Manager here, https://community.microfocus.com/t5/SMA-Idea-Exchange/Primary-Key-sort-numerically-instead-of-alphabetically-for/idc-p/2703442#M3426

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.