Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Global Lists in SM over 9.40

Jump to solution

Hi there experts

How exactily are the global lists actualized now? startup is killed, noted. Then? What?

I'll be honest, I'm a bit pissed now. HP took a turn and went killing the startup GL as we all know. They say the login performance will be better. You know they could also say: "Hey don't even use SM and it will be lighning fast when noz used" Gee, thanks...

I did my homework (if not : let me have it) and look for a solution to the problem: new global lists won't be updated automatically.

Some guys say, "Just mingle with the condition and set it back to ture for the startup GL". Yap, that would work, but then again: what was the purpose of denying the old startup list. Yes it made login slow. Do you have another sollution?

HPE : nothing

Forums : nothing

There are some legends around that an immediate restart (hang on, this is my favorite part:) sometimes (lol) works.

Or the other one: "just wait a cupple of days".

Seriously? After so much years of development we have is "sometimes" and "couple of days"???

Please explain to this fool (me) how the GLs are updated.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: Global Lists in SM over 9.40

Jump to solution

Hmm I have not heard about this "Lazy loading" thing,

But I just checked one of my customers systems and all global lists are updated on a daily basis by lister and I have not heard any complains about missing values in global lists.

You are rigth that it is a bit of a black box how global lists are updated. Especially when creating a brand new global list. And honestly if I know that something I build will require a new global list I create it a few days before I am actually going to code something that uses it.

I have also used apm.global.initer to initialise global lists, run manually *aapm.global.initer and also apm.server.initer

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Doesn't 9.4x + have a lister process anymore? This is, after all, the background process for updating Global Lists.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hey Josh! But of course it does. I've already checked, it's not stuck. So if it is responsible for the GL-s to be updated then it's doing a poor job. Just like HP solving these kind of problems:

There's a qcr opened for this sice 2016 february.

I think that explains a lot. SM is a sinking ship people get into the lifeboats and scram.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

What you could do is to rebuild globallists at startup by running some code. Because you are able to manually refresh the globallists, what could be automated as well.

1. Format control "login.default" is run every time users logs in, so we'll use that to do the job
  2. Put to "subroutines" tab call to RAD application apm.global.initer (which builds the globallist)
    1. See the example of parameters' usage in a Process file "globallist.rebuild" - idea is that you add to "names" array the globallists you wish to run at startup. Name's value can be refresh
    2. Define the parameters in FC's "Calculation" or JavaScript "tab", whatever suits you
  3. Save & Login again

I have not tested this, but it should help you.

BTW, don't take offence, I'd rather focus on information that gets things solved than reading stuff vaguely related to your problem.

---
Moving on, this account is no longer active. Best regards, Kelalek
- So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks Kelalek2, that's another workaround, I really apprichiate it. But still... it is a workaround and I'm simply cuorious of the (new) OOB way how GL-s are getting updated. The WA you suggested also takes resources on logon.

You know I find it rather funny that there is no actual answer / documentation on this. Does HP read this? Has to  be a joke that noone, including HP knows how exactly global lists work in the newer versions of HPSM.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

I think it's over-simplifying to say "no-one knows" If you're talking of help desk, it's really up to a person in a help desk if he's willing to ask more information from R&D guys. They know for sure.

There's also an KB article KM02151669, which explains how "Build list on startup" works. I recommend reading it, I think it gives a better explanation how GLs work.

If these threads are read by HPE support folks, please attach it to this thread. @lingyanmeng

I don't dare to do it, because I'm not sure if the article is copyrighted or something...

The latest changes related to global list loading was adaption of so called "lazy-load", which was introduced in a version SM 9.41 p4.

I don't have personal experience of earlier releases of SM 9.4x branch than the SM 9.41 p4, so global list functionality changes prior that are unknown to me.

---
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks I've read that already. Still, nothing on this "lazy loading". About the points there:Too bad none of them works. RTE has been restarted couple of times. lsiter too. Typical HP explanation of things. "Lazy loading"... more like "not ever loading".

If you look at the other related posts you'll quickly see that the "new" method is buggy, chaotic and simply doesn't work properly. That's all. I'm looking for a solution here. And shame on HP for doing such a poor job.

Support: if I ask them what's up whit this, the first question from their side will be : "how long is your power chord, and what color is it?". I've given up on HP support years ago.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hmm I have not heard about this "Lazy loading" thing,

But I just checked one of my customers systems and all global lists are updated on a daily basis by lister and I have not heard any complains about missing values in global lists.

You are rigth that it is a bit of a black box how global lists are updated. Especially when creating a brand new global list. And honestly if I know that something I build will require a new global list I create it a few days before I am actually going to code something that uses it.

I have also used apm.global.initer to initialise global lists, run manually *aapm.global.initer and also apm.server.initer

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks Tommy, Kelalek,

I sence now that this is the most I can get to with this: be prepared that it does not always work right on.

Best regards,

Dávid

0 Likes
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I know this sucks. I have worked with ServiceCenter / ServiceManager since 1999 and refreshing global lists has always been an issue. so it is not something that was introduced with 9.4x.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Typical HP explanation of things. "Lazy loading"... more like "not ever loading".

Lazy loading is a common term for loading information that's not needed (by the user) immediately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazy_loading

I hope they'd use more lazy loading, especially when browsing a ticket. Lots of seconday information (like activities) could be lazy loaded to shorten the time from selection to showing "core data" of ticket.

EDIT: I agree 100% what Tommy said above. Global lists is a nasty stuff. All I can do is to find workarounds that help to cope with the biggest issues and move on to smaller ones.

---
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

I hope they'd use more lazy loading, especially when browsing a ticket.

Well, I hope they don't or at least if they do then they do it the right way 'cause -you have to admit- they got it all messed up with GLs.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.