Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Guess what? Service Desk 4.5 and 5.1 support extended to December 2012!!!

Jump to solution
Just received it yesterday - Service Desk 4.5 and 5.1 support is going to be extended till December 31st, 2012. Also possibility to purchase capacity upgrades (licenses) was extended till June 30, 2011.

Long live Service Desk!

With this being announced I plan to work more on extensions to ServiceDesk 4.5. Here's a rough list of my plans (depends on interest):

*) Improved SLM - this is already done - only need to release it. Includes multiple impacted services in one Inncident/Service Call, SLA metrics being distinguished by Incident/Service Call Category, etc.

*) Release Management - depends on interest and time - any input is welcome

Here's a few ideas I need to think about:

*) Graphical CMDB browser (had a PoC already - needs to be reworked)

*) Possibility to programatically alter GUI - i.e. colors of controls, enable/disable, ...

*) WEB GUI with 1:1 functionality to native one

*) Any ideas are welcome - just let me know

Here's alist of existing extensions you may find useful:

LDAP exporter: http://www.skolnik.info/sdutils/ldap/
Single Sign On: http://www.skolnik.info/sdutils/sso/
Secure Attachemnts on SSH server: http://www.skolnik.info/sdutils/sftp/
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Guess what? Service Desk 4.5 and 5.1 support extended to December 2012!!!

Jump to solution
Good stuff Radovan, we will be looking forward to see what improves of your own you will bring to the tool!!

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
Good stuff Radovan, we will be looking forward to see what improves of your own you will bring to the tool!!

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Radovan,

When is HP going to officially announce this? Thanks.

Greg
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Yes this is really good news.
Particularly interested if you progress the Graphical CMDB browser. (my email is kenilian@bigpond.com)

Has anyone looked at the new Prolin GUI for OVSD. Very strange they would come out with this at this stage of OVSD life.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
@Radovan
Unfortunately our beloved management has decided to use the Teleservice Module (what a joke!!!!) of Oracle EBS Suite so I can't convince them to buy any extensions you write, but I will be very happy to beta test them, since I have a private OVSD installation just for this purpose, to mess around with OVSD internals 🙂 for the fun of it!

@Ken
You wrote: "Has anyone looked at the new Prolin GUI for OVSD. Very strange they would come out with this at this stage of OVSD life."

Do you have more information about that? A quick search on google revealed nothing!
menes fhtagn
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
@Radovan

Are you really sure that the dates are correct?
HP is stating other dates at http://support.openview.hp.com/encore/sd4_5.jsp
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Here's a text from announcement (received by e-mail). I provide ICS file as attachment.

Just as HP recognizes the vital business function of a reliable service desk has never been greater, we recognize that the services provided by HP partners to optimize that function have never been more essential. And yet, the challenges faced by many of our customers due to the economic environment have forced them to delay upgrading the Service Desk platform.

In response to customer and partner feedback and in demonstration of commitment to our customers and our partners, HP will extend the End of Support date of Service Desk 4.5 and 5.1 by two years, to December 31, 2012.
This extension will allow customers more time to stabilize their businesses and IT so that they can realize the greatest return on investment when they transition to Service Manager. It also will allow our partners the opportunity to provide upgrade services that better exploit the stabilizing investments made by their clients thereby increasing the business value of their services.

In additional, HP will allow customers to purchase capacity upgrades to Service Desk 4.5 and 5.1 through June 30, 2011, an extension of eighteen months. For many customers, we realize it does not make business sense to delay upgrading to Service Manager 7 and because of this many HP partners have invested significantly to help customers upgrade as soon as possible.

To ensure you, as a valued HP Partner, are provided the information you need we will be holding a Partner Webinar:

Date:
November 24
Start time:
2 PM Central European Time
Duration:
30 minutes
Presenter:
Jacques Conand, HP Product Line Director

Please open and save the enclosed calendar invite with the conference line and virtual room details.
On behalf of HP, I am looking forward to working closely with you to continue to help your clients successfully transition to the product Gartner recently rated as the leader in IT service desk market â HPâ s Service Manager.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Regarding Prolin - check their site at http://www.prolin.com Seems interesting - new client built on .NET - has pros and cons, still in beta. I exchanged few emails with them, there's some interesting stuff they're doing...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Regarding graphical CMDB browser - I will probably return to it if there is enough interest to purchase it - have to make living out something 🙂
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Radovan - sorry I was slow putting up the Prolin link. Actually doing some OVSD work for a client!!! Curious timing on Prolin's part - to "rise from the ashes" at this point in time. Worth watching. And thanks for posting the announcement - I've heard about it but haven't seen it yet. Keep up the good postings!!!
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi radavon,

I used to be a 4.5 and have now been SM7 for a year.

they had to increase the life of 4.5 as SM7 is quite buggy, its use of database is woeful (appears to have been a tack-on)
the upgrade paths in SM7 are HORRENDOUS (I reckon we will have to do a few of these upgrades in the next year or two) and it is not as robust as 4.5, 4.5's ability to have the round robin of servers was neat, SM7 has LBs (load balancers, not as good), i think they are extending the life so they can port some more sd smarts into sm.

Also not enough skills out there for SM, hp dont have enough and the lack of good privateers pushes the prices up......

The HP sm7 training is also woeful.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Coldbeer,

I voiced the same objections (and more) to SM7 in these forums many times. I agree it can hardly be though a replacement for SD 4.5 - it can target different segments but any current SD administrator would be mad to try to replace it with SM7. It just ins't worth the money - all the RoI talk is *BS*....
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.