Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

HP SM 9.30 & HP KM Search Engine configuration

Jump to solution

Need help for configure search engine. So far I install as typical, add variables and line to sc.ini, install service as a master and configure in Knowledge management > Configuration > Configure search servers where I click verify server and get Search Engine Connected. Now if I go to Search Knowledgebase, Search in window is completely empty and if I click search I get "search failed" (before search engine I could see options and got result 0 document was found).

What is crawler, is it started with service? Do I need to configure anything else for search to work? Is any bug already about this?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It is the shutdown port causing the conflict. See the Address already in use error with 8005 - that is the default shutdown port. Go to the Tomcat\conf\server.xml for the KM install and change the shutdown port (relatively in the beginning of the file) to a unique port number that is similar to the other ports you are using (that makes it easier for maintenance later, when you look at the ports and they are all similar (but not same)). Restart the Tomcat service afterwards and it should all work.

View solution in original post

27 Replies
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I reindex KB and now I can see search like before and it is working.

I install SM again in my lab, this time HP SM Search engine - master service is started and after 15 sec is stoped. Any idea where to start search for troubleshooting?

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Is it possibe to have tomcat and search engine on same server? In my case only one is working

0 Likes
Admiral Admiral
Admiral

>Is it possibe to have tomcat and search engine on same server? In my case only one is working

Do you mean "tomcat for the SM webserver" or "tomcat installed with the search engine"?

The KM Search Engine installs its own tomcat and supporting files. If you are installing the web tier tomcat and KM Search Engine on the same server, you will need to be sure the tomcat ports are unique. The search installer prompts you to select port numbers, that is the easiest place to check. You can also look at the server.xml files in each tomcat directory to confirm.

Malcolm

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

They are using diffrent ports, but still is not working. Can I use Search engine tomcat for webtier?

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

As for troubleshooting: Check the log files in your < Search Engine Tomcat Install Dir>\logs directory. You will find in there what is wrong. Often it is the shutdown port in the server.xml that is not unique and disables the startup of the second tomcat. All active ports in the server.xml must be unique. Active meaning ports that are not commented out.

As to the question if you can run the Webtier and the Search Engine on the same Tomcat - that is not recommended. They both need different tuning settings and it won't perform correctly if you use them both on the same.

Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Here are logs

stdout_20110727
log4j:ERROR LogMananger.repositorySelector was null likely due to error in class reloading, using NOPLoggerRepository.

catalina.2011-07-27

SEVERE: The web application [/kmcrawler] appears to have started a thread named [TestScheduler_Worker-1] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
Jul 27, 2011 5:53:57 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer await
SEVERE: StandardServer.await: create[8005]:
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:383)
    at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:328)
    at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:194)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.await(StandardServer.java:373)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.await(Catalina.java:662)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:614)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:289)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:414)
catalina.2011-07-27

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It is the shutdown port causing the conflict. See the Address already in use error with 8005 - that is the default shutdown port. Go to the Tomcat\conf\server.xml for the KM install and change the shutdown port (relatively in the beginning of the file) to a unique port number that is similar to the other ports you are using (that makes it easier for maintenance later, when you look at the ports and they are all similar (but not same)). Restart the Tomcat service afterwards and it should all work.

View solution in original post

Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Is there any reference to the configuration of JAVA_HOME ?

If both KM engine and SM are installed on the same server, how can I configure both JAVA_HOME parameters?

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Experts ,

Please explain me the steps to configure KMsearch in sm 9.30.  I installed search engine version 7.0 will that support sm 9.30 ? If  it supports ,please explain me the steps to configure it.

Thanks in advance.

Gowtham

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

what you have added in sc.ini files

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi ,

Thanks for replying.I want to know the parameter to be added in sc.ini.Is there any thing else i should do to configure kmsearch engine.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.