Highlighted
lwvirden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

HPSM 9.32 user session timeout issue

I am a co-admin for an HPSM install that has been upgraded from 7.11 thru several patches and now up through 9.32.

Every few weeks, a user mentions to us that while they are typing on an incident ticket form, the system begins displaying the prompt that their session is timing out.

What settings would result in a user, currently actively updating an incident ticket, being prompted to respond before their session is timed out?

This is pretty annoying to users.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
12 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: HPSM 9.32 user session timeout issue

Hi,

The sessiontimeout has nothing to do with user activity (or inactivity).
It's only there to remove sessions that ServiceCenter (SC)/Service Manager (SM) thinks are there but are really not.
For example if you open a session from a client and your network connection goes down
(cable unplugged) then there is no proper removal of the session. So if the heartbeat is
not noticed for the amount of time set in the sessiontimeout the session will then be removed.

The inactivity timer is for real existing client connections where the operator is really
not doing anything anymore.
So for example 30 minutes inactivity timer and 15 minutes for sessiontimeout
will not remove real sessions after 15 minutes but only after 30 minutes.
We currently advise to set the session-timeout to 2-3 minutes.

Please take a look at this article: 

Then , please let me know your opinion.

Regards,
If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
0 Likes
lwvirden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

However, the issue we are seeing is that users of the system, while typing in a form, begin getting prompted - mid keystroke.

0 Likes
lwvirden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

we have ours set with a 30 minute inactivity timer, and a 10 minute warning.

I for one am in the list of users not to log out - and I still get logged out regularly.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

When you said you upgraded to SM 9.32, was it just the RTE or the app version as well? There's a known defect, https://softwaresupport.hp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM00570524

Customer symptom

The inactive timer function does not work if the version of applications is lower than the version of the server. For example, the inactive timer function does not work on a Service Manager 9.32 server on which Service Manager 9.31 or 9.30 applications are running.
0 Likes
Absent Member.. emaasalmi Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Iwvirden: We've noticed that the names in the Inactivity-timer's "DO NOT terminate these users" are case sensitive and have to match the login name. We've set the login name field to uppercase to make sure.

I'm guessing you're experiencing the problem with other than these users, too.

We're using SM9.33.

0 Likes
lwvirden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thank you for the comment about the case of the logins. We use lower case characters in our logins and the list was entered in lower case in the operator and contact records as well as in the inactivity list.

That's a good thing to have noted here on the forum 

0 Likes
lwvirden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think both were updated - what is the best way to check?

0 Likes
Absent Member.. John Stagaman Absent Member..
Absent Member..

System Administration > Base System Information > Monitoring > Version Information

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
0 Likes
lwvirden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So ours says that the application version is 9.32.0016 and the RTE version is 9.32.1001.

Is that the kind of difference the knowledge base article was mentioning?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

That knowledgebase article KM00570524 does not apply to you. It's talking about how some people have RTE 9.32 but uses SM 9.31 or SM 9.30 app version.

I was hoping that was your problem.

I can see that you are on RTE sm 9.32.1001 P1, you could try applying RTE sm 9.32.2004 P2 and see if that fixes this issue.

0 Likes
lwvirden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have been talking to the system admin about applying that patch.

I appreciate any other ideas people might have in determining why this is happening.

0 Likes
Super Contributor.. fid509 Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Hello,

Was there a solution to this?

Since a few weeks we suddenly started to experience the same symptoms in a 9.33 and a different and separate system running on 9.34. People are thrown out the system several times a day with a session time out error while typing or very shortly after looking in an incident. I work in the full eclipse client all the time and do not have such problems, so it seems to be related to the web interface but the support team says they didn't change a thing in the configuration of the tomcat servers. And of course, neither did I.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.