dfilipovic2 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

HPSM - system_load- but only data from tables

Jump to solution

Hello experts,

Does anyone know how can I export whole data from an current HPSM system to another, but I only need data I don't need feature from system_unload which creates new tables.

Is there any function besides creating unload script which would include whole system files... Not to say that that would be an suicide for me to type all tables that are created in system...

Why I need that?

Because I have installed new DB with which accepts "UNICODE" type of data or better explained all VARCHAR fields are NVARCHAR and TEXT are NVARCHAR(MAX). This was done to have an hybrid system which accepts Latin characters and Cyrillic characters.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: HPSM - system_load- but only data from tables

Jump to solution

Hello @Kelalek2,

I have managed to find a solution to my problem by "tricking" system_load like this:

1. I have created new empty DB on which I installed sample data with "UNICODE" after that I have configured in datadict all missing custom fields and tables like on PROD environment. After that I have done sm -system_unload of that system.
  2. Then I done system_unload from PROD database.
  3. I have created new empty database in which I didn't upload sample data but I checked "UNICODE".
  4. Then I have replaced datadict.unl from PROD environment with that I created with UNICODE.
  5. Then I have done system_load. datadict.unl will create all tables with NVARCHAR and NTEXT and fill it with data from PROD environment.

I hope this will help somebody one day so that's why I am posting it here. 🙂

Best regards,

Dino

3 Replies
Acclaimed Contributor.. Kelalek2 Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

I know SM's delta migration tool does something similar, but it only copies to unload file the database tables which have sysmodtime field. So definitely it will not be a silver bullet to your problem.

To my knowledge (please correct if I'm wrong), HPE/Microfocus has not offered a solution which would enable existing users to move SM database's data (not structure) from old to new environment. For example, old SM installations still have (almost) deprecated data types such as TEXT, but new OOB installations offer NVARCHAR instead.

I don't know which DB you use, but for example MS SQL offers some built-in tools, which may work in your case.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1515969/exporting-data-in-sql-server-as-insert-into

---
Moving on, this account is no longer active. Best regards, Kelalek
- So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello @Kelalek2,

I have managed to find a solution to my problem by "tricking" system_load like this:

1. I have created new empty DB on which I installed sample data with "UNICODE" after that I have configured in datadict all missing custom fields and tables like on PROD environment. After that I have done sm -system_unload of that system.
  2. Then I done system_unload from PROD database.
  3. I have created new empty database in which I didn't upload sample data but I checked "UNICODE".
  4. Then I have replaced datadict.unl from PROD environment with that I created with UNICODE.
  5. Then I have done system_load. datadict.unl will create all tables with NVARCHAR and NTEXT and fill it with data from PROD environment.

Best regards,

Dino

Acclaimed Contributor.. Kelalek2 Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

I wish more people had a same attitude than you do! Trying tricks instead of just expecting others to do the job.

---
Moving on, this account is no longer active. Best regards, Kelalek
- So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.