Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How do YOU manage user access to HPSM at your site?

I can understand if I only had a few people, and there was not much change, manually adding people on a day to day basis.

However, in our case, we have people starting and leaving at least every week and often every day.

How do you keep your operator and contact tables up to date in HPSM?

Do you manually add each new user?

What do you do about users who leave?  Do you delete them?  If you just mark them not active, then what do you do about the long list of hits of inactive users when a user tries to fill a name into a form field?

Thank you

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: How do YOU manage user access to HPSM at your site?

Hi

If the users are starting and leaving in a daily basis then you can integrate them with active directory through Connect it.I think the AD will be update daily basis when a user will come or leave the organization,so integrate with the Active diresctory through connect it.Make a scenario and run the scenario in daily basis by a scheduler.which will update the operator record.if it will not find the user in AD then it will make the operator record "inactive".I am not sure whether we can delete a record or not but we can update the record.once the record will be "inactive" store this value in a field and run a script through scheduler to delete the "inactive" records in operator.I don't think we should delete contact record because it will be a audit record for the user.

1)RUN a connect-it scenario to update the operator record.

2)Run a script through scheduler to delete the operator record.

Thanks

Jagabandhu Padhy

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So that is what you do at your site?

You created the connect-it scripts to recognize new active, changed, or new inactive users, and then you created a new field to store the information?

I presume then you went through all the various link records, etc. to modify them to ignore the inactive users?

I'm just trying to figure out all the various things that would have to be done.

I'm currently the only one doing this stuff, which means when I am aware no one here is set up to perform the various steps we are performing.

We don't have a connect-it that has the license to talk to active directory. So in my case I have had to write various scripts to simulate it.

I want to stop deleting records because of the audit idea - but then all the fill commands for users display all the old users, which becomes really bad really quickly.

It seems to me that it will be quite an exhausting set of changes needed to get all the various places modified, and then, of course, when a new version becomes available, I may have to make additional changes as well as worry about integrating the changes already made together with the changes in the new version.

What a mess. For a product this expensive, it seems odd that each customer has to figure all of this out and implement it over again. Why it isn't supported out of the box is really a puzzle.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi

Yes somewhat simillar to this.i have provided a solution for your query.You can accomplish the requirement in various ways but as HPSM can not find out the inactive users automatically so it has to be integrated with Active directory or a repository where the user information will be updated in a daily basis.

Thanks

Jagabandhu Padhy

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Hi,

we have the same requirement.

Can anyone share me the mapping part in connect it.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

One solution for the operator audit problem.

You could create a duplicate table of operator table. for deleted operators. Use a same table structure. (copy definition).

Every time an operator is deleted, SM is set to create a copy of it to that duplicate table. (Use trigger, before delete.) So the copy table would serve as a audit table. By using that approach, you avoid changing dozens of link files..

One change has to be done - in case that same operator is added and removed multiple times - you have change the definition of unique key from "name" to "name - sysmodtime", for example. (Didn't test this combination, though.)

Of course, if version change adds new fields to OOB operator table, you've to replicate the fields to your copy table, but it's not a dedious task.

---
Moving on, this account is no longer active. Best regards, Kelalek
- So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

At our location, we use a feed from the personell database to populate contact records, and we have an SM Administration team who creates the operator records in HPSM based on the user's needs and role within the organization.

We're a pretty big company, so the contact table is updated often, but the operator records - though there is change over time - is not as dynamic as the contact records.  So the Admin team is easily able to handle operator adds/deletes, while a feed via ConnectIt handles the contact table.

When a contact is termed, we don't delete the contact, but we do update a status-type field within the contact record that the contact is no longer present, and we modified the formatctrl record on the contacts table to delete the operator record when the contact is terminated, so the Admins don't have to worry about deletes.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.