Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
lwvirden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ISO ideas for tracking down an out of date record

So, a few months ago one of the staff members who had a number of roles within Service Manager left the company.

His information has been deleted from every list, operator record, contact record, environment record we can find.

However, the info is still SOMEWHERE within the system - we just can't find it.

So far, we can't find a pattern for it turning up. However, at least half a dozen times in the past 2 months, an new incident ticket is created that includes his mail address as the incident manager. Then, when that ticket is closed, the notification sends a mail message to that no-longer-valid mailbox.  The same notification sends mail to the correct people 99% of the time. 

We have tried using *afind.string . We have tried using a tool that claims to search all columns of all rows of all tables in a database.

Nothing is showing up in any of our searches.

The machine has been rebooted - so it isn't something stuck within some cache within HP SM.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

0 Likes
13 Replies
Absent Member.. roberto_rb Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: ISO ideas for tracking down an out of date record

Hi,

Have you checked the assignment groups to confirm this user is no longer there?

Also, you could also use the *afindAll command and search his username and/or email address on the entire database to see where else is it appearing.

Regards,

Roberto

0 Likes
Absent Member.. John Stagaman Absent Member..
Absent Member..

With the assignment groups, check the assignment group manager field and coordinator fields. 

Make sure the user is not in the SD Environment or IM Environment Records as the SD Manager or IM Manager. 

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
0 Likes
lwvirden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

> Have you checked the assignment groups to confirm this user is no longer there?

I have indeed confirmed the user is not in the assignment groups.

> you could also use the *afindAll command and search his username and/or email address on the entire database to see where else is it appearing.

We have tried that - unfortunately, *afindAll ends up crashing the login session when it is used.  That's why we found a separate tool that searches sql server databases, and it could not find the name anywhere.

Any yet, just 2 days ago this happened again. So it obviously does exist somewhere.

0 Likes
lwvirden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

> Make sure the user is not in the SD Environment or IM Environment Records as the SD Manager or IM Manager. 

We have looked at all the environment records and that login or mail address does not exist in any of them.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

DB tools may not be able to find the data as some fields could combined and  stored in the db as a BLOB. If you have a copy of your production data in a test environment. You could increasing the session timeout setting in the test environment and run afindAll in it.

0 Likes
Super Contributor.. stsav Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Knowing that *afindAll crashes at some point, did you select the Log Level "Verbose" to have the search logged in real time? You may be lucky and get an entry in sm.log (look for "RAD I dbdict:") prior to the session terminating!

When you mention "[...]includes his mail address as the incident manager" where is the mail address seen more exactly?

Re: the reboot, remember some global lists do not rebuild on startup (those with "Build List On Startup" not ticket)

0 Likes
Absent Member.. John Stagaman Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Check to see if a variable is initialized to that email address in the login.DEFAULT format control. (This is unlikely, but I've seen it done before).

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
0 Likes
Piku Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If you are using template to create the Incident tickets then check for the Template records also. It is quite possible that email id is still there.

Also check for Macros table and search JS(ScriptLibaray) table too.

use email id and operator login id both to search.

Check the emailId manually in template table by looking in to each(possible) template and scrolling down the array table displaying all field values.

Absent Member.

> When you mention "[...]includes his mail address as the incident manager" where is the mail address seen more exactly?

When some tickets are closed, a notification is sent to him. The mail address is selected from a custom field in the probsummary table.  So far, we have not been successful in tracking backwards to determine where the value for that field is originating.

> Re: the reboot, remember some global lists do not rebuild on startup (those with "Build List On Startup" not ticket)

Hmm - I don't see anything in the Global Lists function within HPSM. Would the info be somewhere else?  If so, where?

0 Likes
lwvirden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

> Knowing that *afindAll crashes at some point, did you select the Log Level "Verbose" to have the search logged in real time?

I never see any output whatsoever from *afindAll regardless of the log level or screen output settings.

0 Likes
lwvirden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I tried again this morning, using *afindAll , verbose logging, verbose screen output.

Nothing appears on the screen until I get the Sorry, you are not authorized to access the specified resource error after about 8 minutes.

Note that I am logged in with a sysadmin user profile.

0 Likes
lwvirden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

> If you are using template to create the Incident tickets then check for the Template records also. It is quite possible that email id is still there.

When I use Tailoring > Templates and perform a search, no records are returned. I then manually check all the template records and there was nothing in th ere.

I also checked the macro and scriptLibrary tables.  Nothing there.

0 Likes
lwvirden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

so, we dug in today, trying to figure this out. About the time we were ready to give up, we stumbled across an incident user profile that had the old email address in it. All the people who's operator record had that profile were the ones having the issue - even though at times some of them didn't.

I can't explain the randomness of it, but by changing the user profile, then by changing all the relevant operator records, I believe we have solved the worst part of this issue.

Thank you all!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.