Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Impact of jsDebug set to true in web.xml

Jump to solution

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the jsDebug parameter in the web.xml does on it's own, and what the impact might be in our system, if we were to leave this set to true at all times?

Our users frequently get the message "Sorry, you are not authorized to access the specified resource", when performing the simplest of things, and I am easily able to reproduce this on-demand.  I opened a ticket with HP and was asked to do a trace and send them the content of the trace.  In the instructions provided by HP on how to perform this trace, I was told to set the jsDebug parameter to true in the web.xml and then some additional instruction, regarding enabling developer tools in my web browser.  After following their instructions, I was no longer able to reproduce the issue, so I reverted the jsDebug parameter back to false in the web.xml and tried again.  Once again I was able to produce the issue easily on demand.

Depending on it's potential impact, I'm not sure if modifying this parameter is a true solution to the problem, but it might be a good workaround until a solution is found, so any information would be appreciated.

Audrey

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Impact of jsDebug set to true in web.xml

Jump to solution

Hi Audrey,

Per the SM Help Center, the parameter does the following:

"This parameter enables the web client to load unminified JavaScript files. However, when this parameter is enabled, the web client also displays to end users an error message that includes full stack trace. For this reason, do not enable this parameter in production environments to avoid disclosure of sensitive information."

As you can see, we don't recommend keeping this parameter enabled when not being used for debugging purposes. If the issue doesn't occur when this parameter is enabled, you should let the support engineer on your case know. Perhaps this parameter isn't needed and you can perform the other troubleshooting steps you mentioned without enabling this parameter.

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please remember to click "Accept as Solution". If you are satisfied with anyone’s response, please remember to give them KUDOS by clicking on the "thumbs up" at the bottom left of the post to show your appreciation.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Audrey,

Per the SM Help Center, the parameter does the following:

"This parameter enables the web client to load unminified JavaScript files. However, when this parameter is enabled, the web client also displays to end users an error message that includes full stack trace. For this reason, do not enable this parameter in production environments to avoid disclosure of sensitive information."

As you can see, we don't recommend keeping this parameter enabled when not being used for debugging purposes. If the issue doesn't occur when this parameter is enabled, you should let the support engineer on your case know. Perhaps this parameter isn't needed and you can perform the other troubleshooting steps you mentioned without enabling this parameter.

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please remember to click "Accept as Solution". If you are satisfied with anyone’s response, please remember to give them KUDOS by clicking on the "thumbs up" at the bottom left of the post to show your appreciation.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information.  I emailed my support engineer a few days ago and so far have received no response, so I thought I would ask the Online Experts.  I will follow-up again.

Thanks
Audrey

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.