Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Interaction Category Selection

I am on Service Manager 9.40, and OOB when you click on Create New Interaction you get a selection of Categories to choose from.  I've been asked to turn this off and have just hte main Interation logging form come up and allow the helpdesk reps to choose the category from the interaction from using a drop down.

It seems that inital category selection page is being called and invoked before the actual Service Desk workflow but I can't seem to pinpoint it down.

Does anyone know where the code is that calls this screen (sdCategory.qbe is the format name). and has anyone turned ot off before? Are there any implications to turning it odd?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Interaction Category Selection

Hello,

I have not done tailring for a long already but is not in the PD phase and workflow definition bind to category?

The sense is that you chose a category and system applyes the set of phases and rest logic bind to that category. Don't think that you can change the category after you have initiated Incident creation, it looks more like clasical built beaviour.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Category does dictate workflow.  But you can change in-flight.  Once you choose an initial category and you are taken to the interaction logging screen, you have the option to go to the More menu and change category. 

In our case the work flow doesn't matter too much until AFTER you escalate the interaction, then the category determines what happens. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

You cannot remove the category selection prior to interaction form display* because the workflow determines the form to display and the workflow is determined by category. 

You can, however, assign a default category so that the interaction form opens with incident as the default, for example. Then update the category field to use a fill button to allow changes. Note that you must configure the fill button to call the action id for the Change Category action--just modifying the category doing a normal fill or with a combo box will not update the displayed record to the correct workflow for the newly selected category and can cause conflicts. Note that the default category is a module-level setting and applies to all users; if a user does not have access to the default, they will be prompted to select one of the categories to which they have access. 

*As always, there is an exception. If you have licensed Smart Analytics, the Create Smart Interaction option allows for entry of customer information and issue description prior to clarification and form display. 

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Johm, thank you for your response.  It was very helpful. I am not sure yet which direction we will go but I will keep these points in mind.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.