Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Map CI related Blob fields to an alias table

Jump to solution

Hi experts,

I have just upgraded my SM 9.41 app version from 9.40 to 9.41 using Applications Patch Manager. After the update, there is a pop-up message regarding Blob fields.

941app_err.JPG

I tried to fix the Blob fields following the guide, https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/km/KM01653844/logical_name_solution.pdf?lang=en&cc=us&hpappid=202392_SSO_PRO_HPE Step 4: Map CI related Blob/Clob fields to an alias table but was stuck on step 3 at the Preparation phase.

When I create a new affected.services field and save it, I get an error as below:

dbdict_update_err.JPG

However, no error if I create a new assets field following the guide. 

Can anyone advice why is it so?

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Map CI related Blob fields to an alias table

Jump to solution

Without seeing your screenshots before you receive the error, it's difficult to say what you're doing wrong. I can share the steps I used to add the alias, and you can check them against what you're doing to see if they match. If not, you can try these steps in a development or test environment that has a full backup ready in case something goes wrong.

1. Log in to SM as a SysAdmin user

2. Tailoring > Database Dictionary

3. File Name:cm3r

4. Search

5. Select cm3r from the list

6. With the mouse cursor focused on the descriptor field, click New Field/Key

7. In the pop-up window that's displayed, enter Name:affected.services.new (or any name of your choice) and select array from the Type drop down

8. Click the Add Array button (the + sign)

9. In the next pop-up window, select Character from the Type drop down

10. Click the Add Array button (the + sign)

RESULT: The new field should be added at the bottom of the dbdict

11. Double click the "character" line of the newly added field

12. Enter a SQL Name of AFFECTED_SERVICES

13. Enter a SQL Type of VARCHAR(200)

14. Enter a valid "a" table for the SQL Table field. In my system, I used a3.

15. Ok

16. Ok

RESULT: SM should prompt with an Alter statement

17. Confirm that the Alter statement looks correct, and choose SM Alters

18. The field should be added without any errors assuming SM has write access to the database.

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please remember to click "Accept as Solution". If you are satisfied with anyone’s response, please remember to give them KUDOS by clicking on the "thumbs up" at the bottom left of the post to show your appreciation.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am checking the document on the KM and I will update you the finding as soon as possible.

Thank you and Best regards.

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

What did you use as the name of the new field for affected services? Please post screenshots of what you're doing before you receive the error. I was able to add an alias for affected services out of box without any errors.

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please remember to click "Accept as Solution". If you are satisfied with anyone’s response, please remember to give them KUDOS by clicking on the "thumbs up" at the bottom left of the post to show your appreciation.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Mike_Gross,

Thanks for your reply. FYI, this is the error message I received once I update SM to 9.41 app version via APM. 

941app_err.JPG

Then follow the error message, I look into KM01653844 and follow the instructions on pg 25 Step 3. Create new alias tables for the dbdict records.

As the guide is not specific enough, I follow the guide and create a new affected.services.new field and input the same value for (SQL Type, SQL Name, SQL Type) as affected.services field in the cm3r table. (If you see the guide, that's what the guide did for assets.new field in cm3r table for the example.

Kindly advice. Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Without seeing your screenshots before you receive the error, it's difficult to say what you're doing wrong. I can share the steps I used to add the alias, and you can check them against what you're doing to see if they match. If not, you can try these steps in a development or test environment that has a full backup ready in case something goes wrong.

1. Log in to SM as a SysAdmin user

2. Tailoring > Database Dictionary

3. File Name:cm3r

4. Search

5. Select cm3r from the list

6. With the mouse cursor focused on the descriptor field, click New Field/Key

7. In the pop-up window that's displayed, enter Name:affected.services.new (or any name of your choice) and select array from the Type drop down

8. Click the Add Array button (the + sign)

9. In the next pop-up window, select Character from the Type drop down

10. Click the Add Array button (the + sign)

RESULT: The new field should be added at the bottom of the dbdict

11. Double click the "character" line of the newly added field

12. Enter a SQL Name of AFFECTED_SERVICES

13. Enter a SQL Type of VARCHAR(200)

14. Enter a valid "a" table for the SQL Table field. In my system, I used a3.

15. Ok

16. Ok

RESULT: SM should prompt with an Alter statement

17. Confirm that the Alter statement looks correct, and choose SM Alters

18. The field should be added without any errors assuming SM has write access to the database.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

hi Mike_Gross,

Thanks for your response. I will test it out and update the results later.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

hi Mike_Gross,

Thanks for your response again.

I have tried it out and it is working now. (That's weird because previously I did the same but I get an error)

Just an enquiry, to map the CI related Blob fields to an alias table following this guide, https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/km/KM01653844, the new field which we create the value can be any random values or we should follow the value of the field which is existing in the db?

For example, the affected.services field in the cm3r table is as follows:

Name - affected.services

Type - array

Level - 2

Index - 102

SQL Name - 

SQL Type - 

SQL Table - 

Name - affected.services

Type - character

Level - 3

Index - 1

SQL Name - AFFECTED_SERVICES

SQL Type - TEXT

SQL Table - m2

So for the new field which I create (affected.services.new) is it the value need to follow those as above?

Also, if I did not map the CI related Blob fields to an alias table, will there be any impact to my environment? Attached is the error message screenshot I received after upgrade app verson to 9.41.0020

Kindly advice.

Thank you

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.