Absent Member.. Christopher Car Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Naming conventions for assignment groups in Service Manager 7.11

Jump to solution
I've got 3 different regions in my IT organization - North America, Oceania, and EMEA. I am trying to come up with a decent naming convention for the assignment groups.

Essentially, I have a 4 server teams globally. One for each region and one global group.

I am considering including the region and department codes in the assignment group names themselves (i.e. NA IS Server) and wanted to get a sense from folks if this is the right approach or if you should setup additional fields in the SM tables to account for region and department code instead.

Let me know!
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
BeginnerHPSM Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Naming conventions for assignment groups in Service Manager 7.11

Jump to solution
Hi Chris,

In my environment also,we are following the same naming convention.

It is very much helpful in order to recognize or differentiate the dept, location etc.

I would suggest u to go with the same naming convention.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Chris,

Do u have differet departments in different region for the same puspose?

For eg. In North America u can have a network team and another one for the Oceana..

If this is case then please let me know..
0 Likes
Larry Hollingsw Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution
Another method could be to use Outlook DLs. We organized our support DLs to match the assignment groups in SM. Not only do the operators match, but the names match. This required some work up front, but makes it relatively easy to keep it organized.
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Christopher Car Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Yes, we have teams that do the same function in each region. (i.e. 1 different server teams - one for each region along with a global one - the global one would be 'ALL').

We have an older ticketing system (HEAT) and the assignment group naming convention used was as follows:

>RRR DDD SS GGGGGGGGGG

RR = Region code (e.g. US, UK, HK, ALL)
DDD = Department (e.g. DTS, DCS, DGS, etc.)
SS = Services Group (e.g. IS, DS, BS - Info Sys, Dev Sys, Business Sys, etc.)
G = Group (e.g. server, network, etc.)

This is the direction (which is also similiar to our Exchange GAL DL naming convention. Just want to get an idea of what others are doing before I charge down this path and get stuck with something in Service Manager for the next decade! ;^)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Chris,

In my environment also,we are following the same naming convention.

It is very much helpful in order to recognize or differentiate the dept, location etc.

I would suggest u to go with the same naming convention.

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.