sunny5
New Member.

Notifications triggered from SM9 do not accept some characters ( "?" displayed in notifications)

Notifications triggered from SM9 do not accept some characters ( "?" displayed in notifications when text is added from Word docs from Meeting Review Notes )

ISSUE is: Some characters are showing up as "?" in notifications sent via "xMATTERS"

When users take meeting notes in MS WOrd and past this into ticket, characters like "'" (apostrope) or bullet points become "?".

since xMATTERS ONLY SUPPORTS UTF8, it it showing these special characters as "?'. 

could someone please help me how to address this issue? 

thanks in advance!

0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Notifications triggered from SM9 do not accept some characters ( "?" displayed in noti

I suspect that your database is Oracle?   Microsoft has some characters unqiue to them like smart quotes ( begin and end quote are different characters). To store these in Oracle your database needs to be configured with the proper character set.

See this article for http://dbaforums.org/oracle/index.php?showtopic=23160.    Since these characters are unique to MS you have to use an mswin character set that recognizes these characters.  Consult with your DBA.

If you are on SQL Server you should not have this problem and I would have to investigate further.

0 Likes
sunny5
New Member.

Re: Notifications triggered from SM9 do not accept some characters ( "?" displayed in noti

It is storing correctlt at the database side. But the problem is with xMatters which doesn't support non-utf8 characters and so it is replacing the special characters with "?"

Do you know how can we address this issue?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.