Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Organizing HPSM - Certain CIs and Services only apply to specific Contacts

Jump to solution

Hi Experts,

I am looking into onboarding more departments in our company into HPSM.

For the sake of keeping things simple and easy to follow, how would I go about organizing and separating specific portions of HPSM?

For Example: If I create a Interaction, and the Service Recipient is "Customer A", this customer is only supposed to have Primary Affected Service of "Service A" but the Operator can see "Service A, Service B and Service C" in the list.

Is there a way to limit it to only "Service A" for "Customer A" and "Service B" for "Customer B"?

Would this be through Mandanten? Configuration Management? Contacts?

If any of the above, could someone get me started with how to configure this?

Thanks for the help!

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Organizing HPSM - Certain CIs and Services only apply to specific Contacts

Jump to solution

OK, I did not understand that the usage covers all the modules. My mistake. In that case, the modifying of either forms or the links is needed. But still, I'd use subscriptions to manage the services the departments use and modify for example links to contain the same subscription based service selection than the SD link does.

---
Moving on, this account is no longer active. Best regards, Kelalek
- So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

If your Service records have Departments as an attribute, and your Contacts have a Departments attribute, then in a record (such as an Interaction or Incident), you can modify the link record for the field, such as Affected CI, and modify the query to filter the Services based on the department of the contact in the record.

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

I'd suggest you read the SM help's topic "Subscription".

Service subscriptions track the relationships between IT customers and the services they use. A service subscriber, either an individual user or an entire department, can request subscriptions to various services listed in Service Catalog. A subscriber’s list of subscriptions may reference access to shared services and individually assigned CIs. Subscriptions can include SLAs, history, custom options, and pending change requests.

HP Service Manager offers two modes of support for requesting service subscriptions: requests by using Service Catalog and direct requests by using Change Management fulfillment.

Idea is, that between the service and a customer is a link record (Subscription) that can be either a single user or a department. By using that feature, you can simplify the management of which of the services are used by departments.

If you're going to add more departments as SM users in the future, I'd advice NOT to edit links (or create code based if-then statements) and complicate the service management in the future. It will cause a headache when upgrading SM next time.

Moreover, if you are going to use self-service portals like SRC, the subscription record enables users to post SD tickets regarding the services he uses.

---
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Kelalek2, Yes, I thought about Subscriptions too, but will that still get the desired affect without modifying something?  Will the services automatically filter based on the user's subscriptions or will the Link record for the field have to be modified?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Topic's author didn't mention which version of Service Manager he uses. I have tested Subscriptions briefly with SM 9.41 and I don't remember code changes were necessary. So I'd say it should work out-of-box, if contacts and departments are in place. 

In fact, I had to strip down the code in the links to remove the subscription part of it, because our organisation does not use it.  Therefore, I don't have a deep experience of it.

Yeah, I know one should live by the actions, not by the words, but having a SM implementation without subscription was not my decision, as you may guess... 🙂

---
Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi All,

Thanks for the valuable input. I went through and tested the Subscription method mentioned by @Kelalek2.

This works really well with the Service Desk Interactions, but doesn't follow through to each Module (ChM, PM, IM and RF), which in the end might end up needing to be how it works.

The Reason for this is: the new department is switching from a legacy Help Desk software to HPSM, and they aren't used to Interactions and want to bypass that to start out.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

OK, I did not understand that the usage covers all the modules. My mistake. In that case, the modifying of either forms or the links is needed. But still, I'd use subscriptions to manage the services the departments use and modify for example links to contain the same subscription based service selection than the SD link does.

---

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.