Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
JustinN Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Problem Adding Activities to Configuration

Jump to solution

I am trying to add activity's to Configuration in Service Manager 9.2x. I've been having some troubles even though I've followed different walk throughs. Is there a way to successfully do this?

I followed the HP provided document called "Adding Activities to new tables".pdf and the following forum post. Both with no success.
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1307468377783+28353475&threadId=1477429

I followed the steps as follows but the end result is nothing is written to the activitydevice table. I don't even get an error in messages or the logs.

Adding activity logging to configuration management:
1 – Creating the new activity file(created activityDevice)
2 – Creating the activity forms(activityDevice,activityDevice.qbe, activityactions.device.g)
3 – Creating the number record(activityDevice)
4 – Enabling activities in the Object record(added a couple different ones, device, configurationItem, joincomputer, join*...)
5 – Creating the pre-Add trigger (activityDevice.pre.add)
6 – Preparing the primary table for activities(device table)(link for device, configurationItem, etc)
7 – Changes to the activity setup files: activityactions, activitytype
8 – Changes to the display screens and -options

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JustinN Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Problem Adding Activities to Configuration

Jump to solution

To answer some of my questions: I added it to a script and put the call inside format control subroutines.

My coworker had to add a field specific for the virtual join for the ID in the device table and use that in the link and then update the qbe.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Absent Member.. jad Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

I have never tried this the way you mentionned it. But i'm sure you can get the same, or even better, results using a JavaScript to populate the activityDevice table.

I have done some similar work previously i can help you if you're intrested.

JustinN Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the offer, I think Javascript was the easier solution. I was able to write some javascript to do the comparison of fields and then outputs those differnces to an activitydevice table. I created this table from similar activity tables. I have 'number' on the activitydevice table associated with the configuration item.

The only question I have is how do I pull those records onto the Configuration Item on load?

I added the call to this JavaScript function to format control on update, Is that the best place for a configuration item/device?

Edit: I am using javascript call(jscall) in FormatControl of device calculations. If the validations fail it still calls the calculations and keeps adding the record each time you hit the validation, so with multiple validations failing, one per click of "save", the activity record is saved on each validation fail(button press). Is there a way to prevent this or a better place to be calling the javascript function that add's the changes to it's activity table?

0 Likes
JustinN Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

To answer some of my questions: I added it to a script and put the call inside format control subroutines.

My coworker had to add a field specific for the virtual join for the ID in the device table and use that in the link and then update the qbe.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Absent Member.. warrenf Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Justin,

Just a thought, have you tried enabling auditing on the device table? We use this.

We also use a custom developed history/activity solution for changes and change tasks. We implemented this before OOB activities were available.Both have their merits but I find that if all you want is to record the change in values, then auditing is by far the simpler route to go.

Warren

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.. Flavio Bianchi Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

If you still need help you can look here:

Add Activity to device table SOLVED

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.