New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Problem with sm -reportstatus

Ever since we upgraded our system from 7.x to 9.32, we have had a problem with the

sm.exe -reportstatus

command. Before the upgrade, the execution of the above command resulted in a status report that was output to the screen or redirected file. The program would then exit.

Since the upgrade, the output appears, the program sits and then after about 10 seconds or so, repeats the output, waits another 10 seconds, and repeats the process.

I have been told by someone else on these forums that the behavior is not normal.

How would I go about finding a solution for this? I don't want the command to repeat - I want the output one time and then for the program to exit.

Thank you

0 Likes
19 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

You didn't start load balancing when you upgraded, did you?  If so, then sm -reportlbstatus

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Navigate to RUN folder of your HPSM installation and key in sm -reportlbstatus command.

Ensure you have made required configurations in sm.ini and sm.cfg for load balancing

Assign Kudos by clicking on Star on your left ,if this post helped you in any manner...Thanks...

Gaurav
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

As far as I am aware, we did not start load balancing.
When the system begins, the following are executed:
sm system.start
sm -scautolistener:12690
sm -sync
sm -emailout -clean

I do not see anything in the sm.ini that says load or balance.

When I run sm -reportldstatus, only a small amount of information is output. The LB column says N under it, so I am presuming that means no load balancing is on.

When I run the sm -reportstatus command, I see the looping I mentions.

Another odd aspect of this. We have 2 test machines and 1 production machine.
The production machine, of course, is the one with the problem.
At least one of the test machines executes the command as expected.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

HI,

Here ‘reportstatus’ command has nothing to do with ‘reportlbstatus’.
Do not confuse between them.

reportstatus -- Used to generate the status of SM instance on which it is executed. Depending on version it may vary in details displayed.
This parameter displays a shared memory, semaphore and process report, which you can capture in a text file using standard output (stdout) parameters appropriate to your operating system.

reportlbstatus -- This parameter displays information about available ports and threads in horizontal and vertical scaling servlet implementations. You can capture the output of this report in a text file using standard output (stdout) parameters appropriate to your operating system.

But in any way it is not supposed to loop itself and not expected. Are you executing direct command using some script to execute it.

Hth,
Absent Member.

Thanks for the explanation.
I am executing the command from a cmd.exe window. As I mentioned, it produces output, pauses a few seconds, then produces most of the output again - everything but the first line or so.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

This appears to be an issue that should be opened to HP Support. Have you opened a support ticket?

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

yes we have opened a support ticket. We just haven't gotten anything useful back from it. Now that we know it isn't a feature, we just can't figure out why it would act this way.
Thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It could be some rte defect, so you can go for rte upgrade. However not wise to go before any confirmation or rootcause.

And is it exists in both dev and production environment ?

hth
Absent Member.

We have 2 test environments and 1 production.
The problem occurs in 1 test and 1 production (the test environment is a clone of production, so it is not a big surprise).
The problem does not occur in the other test environment, which was the first machine we upgraded from 7 to 9.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Cross check if all the folders and files are updated properly during upgrade in installation directory.
Do you see same or unusual behavior of other command also like sm –status, -reportshm, -reportcache etc.
Check all RTE version are reflecting correcting by command ‘sm.exe – version’ and in client.
Also may try to copy the sm.exe file from working environment to nonworking test environment.

What is your rte version and patch level?

Hth,
Absent Member.

1. I don't know what you mean by cross checking whether all folders and files are updated properly - how can I determine what "properly" means?
2. I checked -status, -reportshm, and -reportcache and they all work as expected
3. sm -version says
H:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Service Manager 9.32\Server\RUN>sm -version
----HP Service Manager Version/Environment Details-----
Executable name: sm
Version: 9.32.1001
Patch Level: P1
System name: 13080
System key: 0x784DFB00
Hardware type: PC (x64 64-bit)
Network hostname: prod01
Operating system: Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1
OS version: 6.1 Build 7601
--------------------------------------------------
4. What does "RTE" mean? Is that the version: 9.32.1001 that is displayed? What client am I trying to compare the version against?
5. does the above output tell you my version and patch level?
Thank you
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.