Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Prolin Smart Client 7

Jump to solution
Hi,
If you want to keep up to date on PROLIN's progress in general or when new releases come out etc. please check the blog on our website (www.prolin.com/blog.aspx).

Regards,
Tom Schoute
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hello,

The client is updated automatically so anyone who tests it doesn't need to find a download.

It is still quite buggy and features are missing but it behaves way better than the previous version.
menes fhtagn
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
George,
Thanks for checking it out.

I mentioned the announcements of new releases in our blog for people who might not test the Smart Client every day but do want to check out new releases.
It is true that the client updates itself automatically.
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Is the Prolin website down? I haven't been able to access it for some days now.
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Michael,
I'm afraid our web server ate too much during Christmas and took a holiday after that...
He is back in shape and up and running again, sorry for the inconvenience.

From all of us at PROLIN I wish everyone a very healthy and successful 2010!
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Has anyone been able to make the client work with dynamic forms? On our system none of the dynamic forms display correctly.

Michael
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
The client lacks many other important features - I would name it alpha now instead of beta. For me beta is something full-featured with bugs not yet possibly resolved (my estimation is several months till the guys get there).

I found in blog that latest version supports "brand new graphical CMDB explorer". I became worried and have instantly tried it because I have something similar in works for Client 2008 (or standalone application with a bit limited functionality). I found it very disappointing: it is very crude, not very intuitive and it is not clear what it shows exactly (seems CIs with some sort of relations).

So I would like to announce at this place that in few days/weeks I will be publicly releasing first version of graphical Service Desk explorer sporting these features:

* full integration into Client 2008 (new View type)
* support for visualizing CIs, Services, SLAs, Service Levels, Organizations (any other objects can be added within minutes) and relations between them
* it not only visualizes Generic Relations and CI relations but also any other form of relation (like Parent/Child for CIs, Managed by Service for CIs, Managed CIs for Services, various Service typ relationships, etc... - i.e. any form of relation there is in ServiceDesk)
* support for different layouts
* showing/hiding parts of visualization based on criteria

Future plans include:
* topology querying (similar to UCMDB)
* context menus for visualized objects
* impact analysis for Change Management (Incidents, Service Calls)
* ready-made views (Service structure for example)
* graphical editing (relationship creation/delete)

I will create standalone thread for this when first version is available...
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Hi Radovan!

Sounds very interesting. We have also been working with a graphical CMDB view, and have implemented our own solution that reads CMDB data exported to an XML-file. It is then converted to html/jpg and accessed via browser. Works fairly well.

However an integrated solution would be better. Keep us updated :-)!

Regards,
Michael
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
That is very interesting news, Radovan!!!!

Ehm, is there any chance to beta test it? 🙂

Again, it's exciting news!
menes fhtagn
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Well the first release will be beta. Following release will add some of the mentioned features. I currently plan to employ shareware-like approach I did with SSO or SFTP - everyone can install it and have full functionality but it will be time-limited - most probably the features will work only for limited time after client start. When you restart the client it will be back...

To tease you a bit, here's a simple unfiltered view on Service Desk's demo data showing various relationships between CIs, Services, SLAs and Service Levels. Enjoy...
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
All,
PROLIN has provided a beta version of its product to trusted partners, in order to gain their feedback, identify any bugs, and solicit ideas for improvements. We have not made the product commercially available because we are still testing and improving it every day.

We agree with Radovan that some of the features are still more "alpha" than "beta", but we are anxious to allow early access to our beta group to get their response. One of the many benefits of our development and deployment methodology, with automatic downloads, is that we can quickly produce and distribute small, incremental updates that improve the product and add new features on a regular and painless basis (as opposed to installing a patch!)

We are working very hard on a version of the product that will have the appropriate quality level for commercial distribution - fine tuning features and adding new functionality every day.

For now, we appreciate the input and interest of all of our beta users.
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
I really appreciate the initiative from Prolin, and wish to continue testing.

Are you looking into the dynamic form problem, and will it be addressed in the next release? I must admit that it is a show stopper for us.

Regards,
Michael
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.