Highlighted
Member.

Question about HP Service Manager 9.50

Dear Supporters,

the company is currently implementing the HP Service Manager 9.50 in the hybrid modes. My job as a student is to see how far the HP service manager can still be used for the company.

The consideration is the internal and external ordering process of service of employees and customers via the portal.

My questions about this.
Can the HP Service Manager make a distinction between the internal employees and the external customers who want to assign a service? Both have different product catalog / service catalog.

How does this work in detail?
Are two HP Service Manager required? 1x for internal employees, 1x for the external customer? Or can the distinction between the two customers and the two product catalogs be mapped into one service Manager?

Does anyone have some ideas? Thanks 🙂

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Re: Question about HP Service Manager 9.50

If I have understood correctly, yes, you can limit the visibility of certain "Categories" and "Items" of your service catalog, according to some access criteria you define. 

When you create Categories and Items that "hang" below categories, there is an "Access" tab where you set under which conditions a user can see a category/item or not.

You don't need to make two different catalogs. You can have only one.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Question about HP Service Manager 9.50

I've a same response: dual catalogue is not needed but a strategy to maintain access/visibility criteria instead.

We're using dynamic visibility rules, which are based on user's location in organization. If I simplify a bit, we have divided the employees into three groups: for external consultants (0), non-IT-workers (1) and IT users (2). Organization structure and employee lists are supplied and administrated by another system.

As our catalogue is currently quite IT sentric, typically we use access phrases such as $ItemVisibilityId>1 or $ItemVisibilityId>0 which means some of the items are only visible to IT or to IT and other employees, but not to consultants.

When user logs in to Service Request Catalogue, a variable is set to value 0, 1 or 2 by the code and SRC limits the visibility of the items for each of the user groups. It's been a working solution and what's important, easy and efficient to maintain. No manual assignments by Service Desk or additional IdM solutions and approvals are required.

My 2 cents...

---
Moving on, this account is no longer active. Best regards, Kelalek
- So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.